Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frustrated! Pump volume depleting!

Default Frustrated! Pump volume depleting!

Ugg! For about 2 months now my pump supply has been slowly decresing! My LO is 9 months old and has been exclusively breastfed since birth up until last week when i had to start supplementing with formula while I am at work due to me not being able to pump enough BM. I know it isn't a supply issue because LO is getting plenty when she nurses. I will pump for 20 minutes at work with my PISA and get only 2 oz AND not feel empty! I used to be able to pump6-8 oz in that time. I have a new pump, because I broke part of mine and they sent me a new one, so I don't think there is a problem with the pump. I dont know what to do and I dont want to have to give her formula while I am at work! Oh.. and I also have only 2 let downs instead of 3 and it takes about 4 minutes or so for my first let down. Then when I do let down, it is not as active as before. Any suggestions would be fabulous.

Default Re: Frustrated! Pump volume depleting!

No answers, just hugs, because I've been there. It's so frustrating! I hope it gets better soon!

You might contact Medela about your issue since it seems to have come about shortly after you got the new pump? They can help you trouble shoot with it and if something is wrong with it send you a new one.

Any other changes in your life, did you start hormonal birth control, or get your period back?
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Hmm, that's a good question...I've been feeling the same way. I have a medela PIS and my lo will be 9 months next week. I'm pretty certain my pump works just fine. It seems my pumping supply has gone down by 2 -3 ounces a day. Also, when I pump it seems like there is still milk left in one of my breasts but it doesn't come out I've wondered what may be going on because when I'm at home with her I know I have plenty of milk and I get worried that she's not eating enough. I hope some other ladies have some input. I'm sorry I don't have advise, but I wonder if some of it is due to the solids or just our bodies changing? Anyway, I'd just keep pumping as much as you can and give yourself a pat on the back cause you're doing great!
    I'm Jill
    Mother to
    Bear 12/13/98
    Bagalli 8/5/07
    little (3/21/09).
    Kafessa: 5/17/10
    expecting 10/1/11

You said in your post that you are pumping for 20 min. Is there any way you could pump longer? I noticed that I can collect more milk just by pumping longer. This is especially true for me when I can "feel" that there is more milk in there-- it just takes its time coming out.

Quote Originally Posted by 2girlmom View Post
    You said in your post that you are pumping for 20 min. Is there any way you could pump longer? I noticed that I can collect more milk just by pumping longer. This is especially true for me when I can "feel" that there is more milk in there-- it just takes its time coming out.
    If I pump lobger than 20 mins, then my nipples start to hurt. If I turn the suction down, then my let down is never stimulated. I never had the problem until all of this started happening.

Quote Originally Posted by LLLJessica View Post
    You might contact Medela about your issue since it seems to have come about shortly after you got the new pump? They can help you trouble shoot with it and if something is wrong with it send you a new one.

Any other changes in your life, did you start hormonal birth control, or get your period back?
    I actually tried the symphony at work also and had the same problem with it, so I really dont think it is the pump. Everything did start shortly after i got my period back, but I just dont see how that could effect my pump output, but my supply be just fine?? Thanks for everyones responses!!

I don't have a lot of advice, but will be watching this thread with interest... My LO will be 9 months in about a week & I've noticed that my left breast is having a really hard time putting out a decent amount (so far, my right is still doing good *knock on wood*). It takes A LOT longer to let down & the milk flow isn't as fast. I have to pump a longer to get the same amount. But, when I'm with DD, I can hear her gulping a lot when she nurses on that side (the let down & flow seems to come easier on that side than my right?).

It's weird. So far I can keep up with her demand while I am at work, & I am just hoping that will hold out until she is at least 12 months!

I don't have any help to offer, I'm having exaclty the same problem. My son seems to be getting plenty to eat but I can't seem to get more than 2-3 ounces total each time I pump. This is a new development & I thought if I just pumped more frequently that things would pick up but no luck so far; I think I'm actually getting less by the day.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated, I hate to think that after 9 1/2 months I might have to start supplementing

Quote Originally Posted by Chloesmommy View Post
    Everything did start shortly after i got my period back, but I just dont see how that could effect my pump output, but my supply be just fine??
    If your drop in supply started around the time your period came back, that could definitely be the reason! From personal experience, I can tell you that my supply (amount I can pump) fluctuates all month long... it depends on where I'm at in my cycle, but it's the lowest just before AF, and during the first few days of my period. It has to do with the hormones floating around your body (I believe estrogen is the culprit...) On the worst days, in 3 pumping sessions at work, I can only pump 8-9 ounces, and on the best days I can pump around 12-13 ounces. I need a minimum of 12 ounces to send with DD to daycare... Sometimes I end up adding an extra pumping session, after DD goes to bed to make up for that day's shortage...

Anyway, I try not to stress out about it, and I have just resigned myself to the fact that my supply is going to fluctuate and I'll just have to deal with it. So far I haven't had to supplement with formula, but I have decided that if it comes to that and I have to give a little formula to get by, well then so be it. In the meantime, I am doing my best to get some sleep (the BEST way to boost supply, in my opinion), drink lots of water, taking fenugreek, eating oatmeal, and also taking a calcium/magnesium supplement.

I guess I don't have any real advice for you, except for sharing my personal experience... Just try not to stress out about it, as that can make supply problems worse!

Good luck mama
    Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.