Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did my milk go away?

Default Did my milk go away?

Hi,

Just yesterday my breasts felt all full, barely fitting my bra (when full), one leaking when I nursed the LO (6 weeks old) on the other one and around 10 am, I noticed that my breasts both felt soft. When my LO nursed, I felt the let down, saw her gulping away. About 5 minutes later, she started to wiggle around and when I took her off, I tried to squeeze some milk and nothing came out. That has never happened to me before.

So we switched breasts and similar thing happened, but it took about 5-8 minutes. She started to get vocal (not crying, making little noises) when feeding and moved her mouth around the nipple around. When I took her off, no milk was coming out

My breasts leaked during the day when they got full and now..today, nothing! Literally in 3 hours all changed for me.

What has gone wrong? I read about breasts regulating at Kellymom, but why can't I express some milk after 5 minutes? I am very concerned. Did me going 4-5 hour without feeding cause this? At nights my LO feeds once only. So my breasts always felt like they were gonna blow up and I would pump at nights. Since we have been bfing only (this last 6 days), I offer her one breast around 3 am when she wakes up and the other around 6-7 am when she wakes up.

Help. Maybe I broke something

Should I pump in between nursing, to help things?

Kay
    Last edited by organikmama; April 28th, 2008 at 08:52 PM.

Default Re: Did my milk go away?

How old is your baby?

she is 6 weeks old.

Sorry I just saw that your baby is 6 weeks old
    I don't think you broke anything. I think your baby is going through 6 week growth spurt and that's why you are feeling emptier. Your supply will adjust soon. Just go with the flow, feed on demand, your body will do the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by desperate View Post
    Sorry I just saw that your baby is 6 weeks old
    I don't think you broke anything. I think your baby is going through 6 week growth spurt and that's why you are feeling emptier. Your supply will adjust soon. Just go with the flow, feed on demand, your body will do the rest.
    Thanks so much.

I fed her 5.30 am and she slept, she woke up at 9.30am to eat and my breasts felt empty and acted empty. A first.

Feeling scared...

Kay

Quote Originally Posted by organikmama View Post
    Feeling scared...

Hang in there. With DD I don't remember this happening to me, but with DS it did around the 10 week mark. Just like with you, all of a sudden. I swear he is still in a constant growth spurt. Like pp said, keep nursing on demand and don't worry about it right now. And remember, pretty soon your body will regulate milk production much better and you will not get the really full, almost engorged feeling. But, your body is doing as it should and your baby will be getting all the milk she needs! Just watch the diaper output to make yourself feel more comfortable and relaxed about it all.

Our blessings from God!
    Kylee was born September, 2006 - 9 lbs. 12 1/2 oz, 21 inches long.
    Kiefer was born January, 2008 - 6 lbs. 14 oz, 19 1/2 inches long.
    He was diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy at 12 1/2 months old. Others later discovered.
    And I am even more blessed by being married to my best friend and the most honorable man I've ever known.

"The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." - Abraham Lincoln

Signs baby is getting enough milk:
    (1) Nurses as often and for as long as she wants, usually 8-12 times per 24 hours.
    (2) Has 6-8 wet and 3-4 messy diapers per day.
    (3) Gains weight appropriately (check with doctor if you're concerned).

NOT signs that baby is not getting enough milk:

(1) Soft, floppy breasts. (I would nurse one twin on "full" breasts, then the other twin would want to eat. My so-called "soft" breasts would produce milk for that baby, too! Your body makes milk FASTER on an "empty" breast. This is good for your body to do!)

(2) Not being able to express milk after a feeding.

(3) Fussy baby.

(4) Baby wanting to nurse all the time. Baby nursing more than she used to.

It takes about six weeks of consistant full breastfeeding to establish a good milk supply. Have you been breastfeeding fully? If you think that your milk supply might still be getting established, you might decide that you want to wake your baby to nurse every 4 hours at night. That's up to you, though. Some moms don't. After 6 weeks of full nursing, I felt okay letting my babies wake themselves.

Good luck! Watch for the signs that baby is getting enough milk -- keeping a written chart helped me feel more secure about things!

Quote Originally Posted by Sherri H. View Post
    Like pp said, keep nursing on demand and don't worry about it right now. And remember, pretty soon your body will regulate milk production much better and you will not get the really full, almost engorged feeling.
    out of curiosity how long does it take for your body to produce more milk when in a growth spurt or if they just want to eat alot for a particular day? and i guess im gonna ask one more question. in a particular day if they want to eat alot how do you get milk to feed them if you cant fill em without giving a bottle. ds getting mad for getting no milk out. yikes

Quote Originally Posted by mpoulson View Post
    Signs baby is getting enough milk:
    (1) Nurses as often and for as long as she wants, usually 8-12 times per 24 hours.
    (2) Has 6-8 wet and 3-4 messy diapers per day.
    (3) Gains weight appropriately (check with doctor if you're concerned).

NOT signs that baby is not getting enough milk:

(1) Soft, floppy breasts. (I would nurse one twin on "full" breasts, then the other twin would want to eat. My so-called "soft" breasts would produce milk for that baby, too! Your body makes milk FASTER on an "empty" breast. This is good for your body to do!)

(2) Not being able to express milk after a feeding.

(3) Fussy baby.

(4) Baby wanting to nurse all the time. Baby nursing more than she used to.

It takes about six weeks of consistant full breastfeeding to establish a good milk supply. Have you been breastfeeding fully? If you think that your milk supply might still be getting established, you might decide that you want to wake your baby to nurse every 4 hours at night. That's up to you, though. Some moms don't. After 6 weeks of full nursing, I felt okay letting my babies wake themselves.

Good luck! Watch for the signs that baby is getting enough milk -- keeping a written chart helped me feel more secure about things!
    can you explain why a baby isnt getting enough if you cant express milk after a feeding? cos i thought you should empty a breast before putting them on other side. now im confused. sorry if that was a dumb question

Thank you all so much, to answer some questions, my LO was born close to 10 lbs and now weighs 11 lbs. She lost 1 lb at the hospital, poor thing.

I have been pumping and feeding her for the last 4 weeks with some bfing sprinkled in there. I pumped about 20-30 min per session. About every 3-4 hours.

She just nursed an hour ago and was wiggling. I put my hand over her tummy and a few seconds later I could feel the gas bubbles move all over the place. I think she has horrible gas which is causing the wiggly mood. Also when she nurses I can hear it in her throat. What to do?

Again, thank YOU all so much!

Kay