Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: nursing down--unbreakable latch--what are your tricks?

Default nursing down--unbreakable latch--what are your tricks?

I have a 21 mo old. We nurse down--for naps and night time. Often he'll nurse, sigh, and roll over on his own. Or he'll fall asleep long enough that he'll loosen up and I can break the latch easily. (I've never been able to nurse him and then get him to stop while he's drowsy and then fall asleep.)

But lately his latch has been vacuum sealed! If I break it, he pops awake and unhappy. All my little tricks:

* breaking his latch and encouraging him to roll over and fall back asleep as he hunts for my nipple.
    * making a little vice with my upper arm on the top of his head and a gentle but firm hand on his back.
    * waiting for him to flutter-nurse and then slipping out

aren't working! Or are taking very, very long to work.

So--how do you nurse down your kiddo? Encourage him/her to let go? I'm looking for new tricks

Default Re: nursing down--unbreakable latch--what are your tricks?

Is your lo teething possibly?

As my lo is falling asleep it's like his whole body twitches once, after that point then I know I'm golden, I slip it out then wait for a minute and go.

Oh man he's up now, gotta go.

You might try counting to 10 during the day when it's time to be done and get him used to that habit. He will probably be conscious enough to follow the same pattern at night, too. You don't have to count everytime you nurse, but the more you are able to, the faster he will catch on. DS is a bit older (he was 2 when we started counting) and he's done really well with it. It's at least worth a try.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

You could try this trick from Elizabeth Pantley's "The No-Cry Sleep Solution": when your baby starts comfort sucking, unlatch him. If he cries, let him latch on again, wait until the sucking slows, and unlatch him again. Repeat the cycle until your baby is so tired that he decides to go to sleep without a breast in his mouth. It may take many, many repetitions, and many nights, until your baby learns that he's not going to be allowed to fall asleep with a breast in his mouth.

I also nurse down my DS and now we have it down but in order to get there I would walk into his room while he was still attached and start playing a CD. I would continue to nurse him for the first song, then unlatch and put him in his bed. The CD would continue to play. For the first week or so he would cry for a song or two but now he understands that when the song plays it is time for sleep. Good luck!

Melanie
    Mommy to Chase (12 mo.)
    Mommy to Keeely (11 years)
    Wife to Eric, my best friend

Another little trick it to unlatch and then apply a little bit of pressure to the bottom of the jaw/chin - like if your mouth was open and you'd push your lower jaw back up to close your mouth.
    Hold it for a few seconds/a minute.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Quote Originally Posted by LLLJessica View Post
    Another little trick it to unlatch and then apply a little bit of pressure to the bottom of the jaw/chin - like if your mouth was open and you'd push your lower jaw back up to close your mouth.
    Hold it for a few seconds/a minute.
    This works for both of mine.
    Tandeming mom to 2 years old DS and DD born on 15/12/2007