Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No poop in 12 days

Default Re: No poop in 12 days

I'm glad to hear your baby pooped. My little girl went every 7-10 on average from the time she was 2 mo until we started solids. She went 15 days once. My doc said it wasn't a problem and there wasn't a need to do anything about it. He even had another mom in the same situation who went to a pediatric gastro-enterologist (sp?) who said it's no problem in breastfed babies to go that long. So I guess I'm saying if your LO gets into this pattern of only going every week or so, I'd be a little hesitant to use laxatives or anything on a regular basis. I don't think it's that uncommon for it to come on suddenly like that either. My DD went from every day to 10 days without poop and then every 7-10 on average. I have Jack Newman's book Ultimate Breastfeeding Answer Book and he says he knows of a baby that went 31 days (!) without pooping and he didn't consider it a problem. Dr. Sears says one way to encourage the baby to poop is to put them in a tub of warm water up to the belly button and then massage the belly. He calls it a mud bath- how disgusting!

I'll echo the massage, and well, just patience. My DS's record was 12 days between poops... now he's back to about every 3-4 days... he just likes to store it up... and why not, when it's such a chore for a baby to poop? I wouldn't want to have to strain like that all the time! LOL

thanks everyone, for your concern & support!
    further updates: after he pooped, I followed doctor's instructions to feed him this med (Debridat) for bowel movement. I also do the baby massage every day. Initially he pooped every 2 days since taking the med. After only 4 days of this though, he started storing up again. Now he's on his 4th day with no poo.
    My family is mystified.........part of the problem being he's the 1st (almost) totally bf baby in the family, and no one else had experience on babies who poo so infrequently!
    Anyone knows WHY on earth bf babies have such long intervals between poops? I mean, do the babies store up the poo willingly, or is there something in the breastmilk that doesn't encourage them to poo????
    Would appreciate some kind of info to help calm me & my family during this period when my son still hasn't establish any kind of regular pooing routine......
    oh,thanks,Rebecca, for the explanation. I'm not sure if we have IBCLC here in Singapore. I'm giving baby & me another month, if he still hasn't establish a more regular poo routine I'll look for help there.

The explanation actually underscores what a miracle food breastmilk is. It is so perfectly matched to a baby's nutritional needs that as his digestive system matures, practically everything in the milk is digested. There is very little waste product.

My son started storing poops around the age of 4 months. At the peak of that, he once went 10 days without pooping. He was the happiest and most active and healthy little boy! Such babies start pooping more frequently once they start eating solid foods.

If your EBF baby is growing well and is happy most of the time, then I doubt there is any need to seek out an IBCLC over his infrequent poops. Just watch his wet diapers and continue to nurse on cue. When he gets older and starts eating solid foods, trust me, you will miss these poop-free days!

--Rebecca

update: brought ds to paediatrician again yesterday on his 10th no-poop day. This is 2nd time with such long interval. Doc says it's a phase he's going through, told me to continue oral medicine and if no poop, give suppository every 3 days.
    really dunno what to do: baby seems fine going so long between poops, except for his tendency to regurgitate milk after day 7. Have to keep burping him in between & after feeds. My sis is worried that if the baby becomes reliant on medication to poo, he won't be able to poo by himself in future. She insists I seek 2nd opinion (another doc) on the issue.
    Anyone can tell me how long such no-poop phase can go??? Is it really until baby start solids???
    As mentioned in previous posts, ds is the 1st bf baby to have such a syndrome, so a lot of pressure from concerned family. Parents forcing baby to drink water, even though baby doesn't like the bottle. All sorts of suggestions on what kind of foods to feed him from 4th month onwards to ease the situation.

tanhui2,
    Trust what Rebecca is telling you!!! There is absolutely nothing wrong with your baby!!! You don't need to worry about this at all!! I know this is hard to believe, I didn't believe it my self when my son did it for the 1st time. But when I called days 3-5 with the same concerns I was told not to worry. I asked when should I worry? They said "no such thing as a constipated breastfed baby. Don't even call us back until after the 9th day!!!!" And you know what the advice was then? A little KARO syrup and if that doesn't work try some prune juice. Your baby isn't constipated. You don't have to worry or be perplexed or wonder when it's over. BF babies absorb much more of their food thus creating less "waste". That's it. That's all. Trust your body. Trust mother nature. If the poop becomes hard and pellet like THAT's constipation. Then the massafge techniques and possibly suppositories (I can't imagine it would actually come to that) would be the step to "remedy" a situation. But the peanut butter stuff is totally normal and not to be worried about. In fact you could just look as it as a blessing. Less poopy diaper to change is less poopy diapers to change!

Smile Re: No poop in 12 days

my ds started pooping again!!!!!!! we gave him oral med on his 11th no-poo day. He went BIG, and since then he's been pooping and staining his diapers like a 1 month old! Since yesterday he's reduced staining his diapers, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he'll settle to a comfortable routine soon. Such a big load of my mind!
    Thanks everyone for helping me through this period!