Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No poop in 12 days

Question No poop in 12 days

My 2 month old baby hasn't poop for 12 days already. Any idea if this is normal?? I've heard of babies going without pooing for as long as 10 days, but no longer. His wet diaper count is ok otherwise.

Default Re: No poop in 12 days

hi,
    12 days is a bit of a long stretch, but, it is fine.
    as long as he is still wetting, and seems healthy and comfortable in all other aspects, its nothing to worry about. it is pretty common for bf babies to do that. my dd did it too, though the longest she went was 8 days. just be thankful that you have less poopy diapers to deal with!
    of course, if he starts showing other symptoms, or seems to be really uncomfortable with it, then you can try to help him poop with gentle belly massage (down on his left side, across the bottom, up on his right, across the top), "bicycling" his legs, massaging his perineum and anus a bit. if it gets REALLY bad and he seems in pain, you could try a suppository, (pure, natural soap moulded into a tiny "bullet" shape makes a good natural home made suppository. but I dont think you need it.

is your baby still gaining well? weight is the bottom line really. has your littel one been sick, is he otherwise happy/healthy? 21 days is a while to go without poop. ti could mean there is a slight dip in supply so that he is getting enough to be hydrated, but not enough to be pooping. perhaps go to the doc/lll and see if they can weight him before a feeding and after to see how much he is taking in, also, to see if the baby is gaining well based on his growth curve. let us know how things are going!

Since the baby is putting out enough wet diapers, then he's clearly hydrated plenty.
    I would be a bit wary of putting too much emphasis on the growth curve charts. these charts are usually calculated using ff babies, and this doesnt always apply to our bf babies. even if a baby is in the lowest 99% of weight or height, that's still not a disaster. all it means is that your baby is in the smallest 1% of the babies who were used to calculate that particular chart.
    More important is to see that the baby is gaining compared to his own weight history, and remember that babies grow in bursts and spurts, not on a curve.
    and still twelve days without a poop isnt a disaster for a 2 mo.

Exclamation Re: No poop in 12 days

today is the 14th day and my baby still has no poop!!!!!!!!!
    I brought him to the paediatrician today. He had put on 0.5 kg in 2 weeks and grown 5 cm in height, and doc says he's not dehydrated. In fact, he's the 1st baby my doc has seen who's gone for > 10 days with no poop!
    Actually we've given him the suppository on the 12th day, but nothing happened. The doc is puzzled too, and is a bit concerned. Now I'm supposed to give baby the suppository once a day till Fri morning, plus some oral med, if still no poop, doc wants to manually dig it out!
    Now I'm really confused as to whether this is a normal situation or not. Though baby seems happy, he had started to have the tendency to regurgitate milk if we did not burp him. We think it's because the poop is taking up all the space in his body........
    Anyone has any ideas how else to encourage pooping without taking med or suppository??? Actually I've tried giving baby prune juice and gripe water, but he refused to drink them.
    I'll try the bicycling and massage after this, thanks, majikfaerie!
    Last edited by tanhui2; July 26th, 2006 at 02:26 AM.

I agre with with massage thing. Here is a couple links, one shows a little bit how to do it!

http://www.todaysparent.com/baby/hea...content=855805

http://www.parenthood.com/articles.html?article_id=6241

I went to infant massage classes and LOVED THEM!! So did my baby! I hope your LO situation gets taken care of soon!

I think if this lack of poop signified a big health problem, baby would clearly be unhappy a lot.

Try the tummy massage with a bit of oil on your fingers. I would NOT consent to anything as invasive as "digging the poop out" without a stronger medical indication of a health problem.

When he does go -- look out! It's going to be HUGE. Skip the diaper wipes and head straight to the bathtub.

If this turns out to be a chronic issue ... well, 2 months is a little young to begin storing poop, especially if it has happened suddenly (from frequent daily poops to 14 days and counting). If you can find a good IBCLC, have her evaluate the baby's suck. A strong and healthy suck/swallow movement stimulates the gut's nervous system. So if one end of the sequence is off, perhaps the other end of it is also off somehow.

Keep us posted!

--Rebecca

he finally pooped yesterday after taking the oral med + suppository, and yes, it was huge!!!!!! Now I'm back to counting day 1, hopefully he'll do a more 'normal' count of pooping by himself once every few days. Am following doctor's orders to give him med to help with bowel movements, and plan to do the tummy massage this afternoon (since he always have trouble sleeping in the daytime anyway).
    Sorry, Rebecca, what's IBCLC??? I thought if the baby is doing well it's an indication he's sucking well enough to get his milk, no?

OK, glad to hear he had a bowel movement -- I'm sure that was a big relief for you both!

I apologize for using an unfamiliar abbreviation, and thank you for asking for clarification. IBCLC stands for International Board Certified Lactation Consultant. It is the "gold standard" for lactation consultants and is the only credential that is a reliable indicator of rigorous training, lots of experience, and adequate academic performance. Basically anyone at all can call herself a lactation consultant, so you have to look for the letters IBCLC after her name to know that she has that professional credential. I don't know if there are IBCLCs in Singapore, but there are lots in Australia, so I would be surprised if there aren't at least a couple of them in Singapore.

The suck thing is just one of many possibilities. In such a young baby, mother's milk supply is still partially driven by her post-partum hormones. If the mother has an ample milk supply and a strong and easy let-down response, then baby might get plenty of milk without have to do much work himself to drain the breast.

This is just speculation on my part, and isn't something that anyone but an IBCLC trained in suck problems should try to investigate. I just threw it out there as one more idea for why your baby wasn't pooping. Hopefully the problem has been resolved now, so no worries!

--Rebecca

yay! a bowel movement...i'm sure you are relieved! at almost 2 weeks old, my baby girl didn't have a bowel movement for almost a week! i was so scared! our pediatrician said that it was common for breastfed babies, and that our baby girl was showing signs of a more mature digestive system (e.g., a 6-week old baby). she's now 10 weeks old and had her last bowel movement this past monday...so about 4 days ago. our pediatrician did suggest that taking a rectal temperature could stimulate her into have a bowel movement. i did it once when she was 3 weeks old, and it worked...but now that i'm used to her having a bowel movement once a week, i let nature take its course.