Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: i really want to wean

Default i really want to wean

but i know my dd isn't ready. she's 21 months old now and while i love nursing for things like how it got her thru a stomach bug last week, and for the simple fact that i know how good it is for her in general, i just can't stand it anymore. i was thinking of limiting her nursing to only certain times of day, like when she wakes, to put her down for a nap and then at bed time. she doesn't take it likely if i try to distract her from it and i usually give in. i figured if i started to schedule it, since i've always let her nurse on demand, that it would help cut it down. what else can i do?

Default Re: i really want to wean

WOW! Where does the time go??? Your baby is 21months already??? Can you reason with her? That's the best way to start to set limits. "We only do that at home" or "We only do that when we go to sleep and wake up".....

Way too lazy for formula

My LO is the same age (and had the stomach flu last week, too!) and I've also been wanting to cut back the nursing a bit. Its really hard right now because he's getting his last set of molars and he's miserable. I'm not going to get serious about (partial) weaning until the last couple of teeth are in, but I've been delaying/distracting where I can so I don't go crazy. I get the best distraction results by keeping him very busy. If he's having a blast at the park, library, pool, museum, etc he doesn't ask to nurse much. For delaying, he responds pretty well when I tell him exactly when he'll get his milk. "You can have milk after lunch. How about an apple?" or "Bedtime is milk time. Lets play Legos!" It doesn't work all the time, of course. Once I told him he could nurse at bedtime and he climbed up in bed and layed down saying "nigh-night time! nigh-night time!" But its a start.
    Good luck!
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

I can relate to the feeling of wanting to be over with it already... but then secretly I cherish the moments. My LO just turned 2 a couple of weeks ago and I talked up weaning around the age your LO is. She went along with it at first in theory, that when she was 2 she would stop. But as it got closer it was all talk and she had tantrums left and right, started peeing on things all thru the house because prior she was pretty much potty savey (not totally trained). I felt while She is and has always been a comfort nurser... so it really is alot to ask of her while going thru the developemental stage of turning 2 I needed to rethink my original plan!

I have to say the only progress I made so far is that at bedtimes she does not nurse to sleep. I think this is monumental and I recommend that step, if you have not accomplished that yet before weaning all together!

I took a step backward because of her setbacks and started allowing that In between times of the set am. nap and pm( I try distraction and redirection at first) but if I feel that she needs a boost for emotional or fussy tired times I have told her I will only let her to nurse for 2 minutes on each side and then then she needs to be done.

I don't know if that helps you at all but try not to get to stressed about it because it will come.

I am in the process of weaning my 14 month old. It has become too difficult of rme with all the foods I have to cut out due to her allergies and being pregnant. I tell her everyday how proud we are of her. When I ask her why we ar eproud she says Milkie because she knows its because she doesnt nurse during the night anymore...up until a week ago it was every 2 hours and I was exhausted. Now she sleep sthrough the night. Each day I give her a sippy and soemtimes Iget a frown but I tell her shes a big girl now and I tell her through out the day how she doesn't drink milk anymore from mommy because she has milk in a cup. Sometimes she'll scowl at me and other times she will say cup. I know she understands what I am saying and though she may not liek all of it...the point is...they understand way more than we think and if yours is 21 months then you can explain things and why etc through out the day. Tonight mine went to sleep after having a sippy downstairs and then snuggle dup to me with her new baby and fell asleep within 20 minutes. She never once asked for milkie and i know its cuz I talked to her about it alld ay. Nap time today was a diff story lots of tears but then I realized we are always out and she falls asleep in the car and then gets transferred into bed...so I cant remember the last time i tried to put her down awake without nursing. Good luck with eevrything. i wish i could be stronger and a better cook to continue but it is weighing on me plus im not gaining any weight.

my DS is almost 23 month ( ), we've always nursed on demand and we're in the process of "cooperative weaning" - coined the phrase myself ) I can tell him no "not right now" for a miriad of reasons and then I still allow him to nurse at night or before naps, if he asks. Otherwise I am setting some limits. Don't feel bad - you've given him a GREAT gift to have nursed thus far.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

well i've def noticed when we have nicer days around here and are there for busy outside, that it automatically cuts down on the nursing.. but if we spend a day in doors, she asks to go "night night" all day long cause that's when i let her nurse. we were at a point where she didn't need to nurse to fall asleep, but i think i just got lazy about it. i was starting to put her in her own bed too since we've always co-slept, but that didn't last long either. on one had i don't mind her in bed at all, i'm so used to it, but it would be nice to have the option. she's still nursing at least once a night and if i try to refuse she has a total melt down. much easier to just let her nurse so we can all sleep. i don't think i'm gonna get her weaned as soon as i would like, but i keep re assuring her that mommy loves her very much and she can have as much cuddles as she wants even if she can't have milk. i've also tried telling her that mommy doesn't like doing milk anymore (that's what we call it) and that it bothers me, she'll look at me all serious and say "ok" and then start to nurse. lol so cute. its more an issue of freedom for me, but i'm sure i will be really sad when it's all over. thanks all