Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: night weaning

Default Re: night weaning

jojo- Any progress?

There was a recent post I read that someone had success offering the bottle at night instead of breast, after three nights or so, the lo stopped waking up since that wasn't really what he wanted. Maybe you could try that? or after the first waking which doesn't bother you? I'll try to find it and link. Otherwise, check out the "sleep or lack of it" forum, it has lots of good info and links.

Here's a good link on night weaning from Dr Sears: http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T070800.asp

HTH!

This is a VERY common in breastfed babies at 4 months.
    I think part of it for some babies, when they are so busy learning new skills during the day that at night time they realize "I miss Mommy" and they NEED that cuddle time and connection to sleep well.
    My DD started doing this at 3 months and it's just gotten worse and worse!

This site saved my sanity... THey are only so small for such a short time... Are you able to nurse laying down?? This has been a life saver for me! DD's crib is sidecar agaist my side of the bed so I just pull her into bed with me and nurse her ...Usually I am able to doze while she snacks and some times I'll put her back in her crib, other times if I'm still comfortable we'll just fall backto sleep together. HTH!

http://www.kellymom.com/parenting/sleep/4mo-sleep.html

surprisingly, just this past week, lo was able to sleep 7-7 1/2 hours for 2 nights. it was especially strange because he has an ear infection and i thought that was supposed to make them more irritable while sleeping.
    i do think he's making some progress. i really haven't done anything to stop him from nursing at night, it just kind of started getting better on its own and since my husband pretty much gave into us co-sleeping, i've been much happier and more rested.

And now, because hes eating so much at night w/o me changing him, his diaper is super-soaked. i put plastic pants on him, but he still leaked through and wet our bed.
    What diapers are you using? If it's disposables, using the more expensive brands might work better at night.

My daughter is a year old and I was in the same boat. if she wakes up I let her cry. She only cries for a few minutes then she lays back in her bed and falls back to sleep. At this age I believe it has a lot to do with comfort. If I go get her I put her Paci ( yes i use one, and she knows the difference) in and she lays bck down herself.

It does get frustrating at time's like the other women said, but if one of us is going through something then theres others out there going through it too.

Jojo, my dd2 is just about 4 months and she went from sttn at 2 months to getting up 3-4 times! Then last week, I was so exhausted I just refused to get up when she cried just 1/2 hour after I fell asleep (at 4am!) I let her cry (while I also cried from exhaustion and frustration!) After 10 minutes, she fell back to sleep w/o eating. Allie was just giving her "remember I'm here" cry not her "I need to eat now" cry. If she had really started to scream I would have gotten her! Then the next night she sttn. And she continues to do so! Now she sleeps from 8:30-9:30 ish until 4am when I feed her and she goes back to sleep until 6:30 or 7! I have no idea why she started sleeping now, but I would say, let your lo cry for a few minutes (as long as it's not too urgent) and see what happens. Good Luck and I hope your lo starts to sleep!
    Also for the night wetting. I put my girls into the next bigger size diapers for night. My dd1 uses 4 during the day and 5 at night. DD2 uses 2 during the day and 3 at night. Since they are bigger, they hold more! Also I've bought an insert called a doubler for dd1. It looks like a maxi pad, but it fits inside the diaper and almost double the absorbtion of the diaper! (They are $2.99-3.99 a pack of 30! Babies R Us has them, also our grocery store carries them too!)
    Chris
    Happily Married since July 10, 2004
    Mom to Katie- June 14, 2006 and Allie- January 21, 2008

I don't have any great advice, just wanted to say that your post sounds like my situation exactly... DS slept awesome from months 1.5-4 with only one predictable night feeding and then went right back to sleep, sometimes slept all night. It was great. At 4.5 months everything changed... sometimes he was getting up every 1-3 hours, now he is back to twice a night but the first waking is usually at 11:30-12 which I really don't like.

We started rice cereal out of desperation at 5.5 months just to see if it would help... I don't think it did although he is getting up less now, he is definitely not sleeping as well as he used to. I know all the research says it's a myth that starting solids help them sleep but we just had to try it, even though I was against doing it before six months.

I also have heard that is it really common for LO's to sleep through the night for months and then have that go totally out the window. That's definitely what happened to us.