Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mother Having Health Issues

Smile Mother Having Health Issues

Hi All,

I have been breastfeeding my son for 9 1/2 months now but have been dealing with alot of symptoms which have been quite uncomfortable for a while and wanted to know if anyone else has had them and/or if they are related to breastfeeding at all. I have been waking up at night with frequent urination and hot flashes (this also occurs durng the day). In addition, I have had dizziness, motion sickness sometimes while in the car, excessive thrist, weight loss, and nervousness (among other things). Is this normal? I went to my OB/GYN a few weeks ago and she checked me for thyroid problems but everything appeared to be okay. She recommended trying birth control to regulate my hormones, but I did not want to take anything while breastfeeding unless I have to due to any side effects for the baby. Anyway, I am just trying to hang in here since I want to at least breastfeed until 12 months or longer. Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Mother Having Health Issues

i experienced some of those symptoms. i felt dizzy frequently, especially toward the end of the first year when i had no "reserves" of fat left! i always felt insanely thirsty, but just got used to it. nursing made my OCD worse, which i read is due to the body releasing more oxytocin. maybe that's what's causing your nervousness?
    to help with dizziness, i tried to eat an insanely healthy diet with no sugar and no simple carbs. it was easier said than done, but on days when i ate brown rice, tofu and spinach i felt 100% that on days when i ate a huge bowl of white noodles and a doughnut.
    Jean
    proud mama to ds, born 8/3/06, 11 lbs 14 oz, 24", now 35 lbs, 35", self-weaned at 20 months
    expecting baby boy #2 on 7/21/08, hoping for a VBAC

Did she check for other things, too? It certainly sounds like more is going on than simply the hormones of a lactating woman.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

Did you have GD while pregnant? If so, were your sugars tested after giving birth? If so, did they drop to normal? Have you ha your blood sugars checked recently? The dizziness could be low blood sugar (hypoglycemia). The rest of what you describe sounds like textbook diabetes. If you did have GD, it's not unheard of for GD to turn into non-GD after giving birth. It's also not unheard of for pregnancy to trigger the onset of diabetes. I's get the sugars checked before going to hormones!

~~ Meri
    Truth never dies but it leads a wretched life.

Thanks for all of the info. Yeah, I wondered if maybe there was a diabetes thing going on but did not have GD while pregnant. I may go to my GP and see if I can get a fasting blood sugar test done, just to be sure. Diabetes runs in my family so it could be possible. Of course, not sure about the hot flashes, maybe that is hormone related.

Quote Originally Posted by cindyballen View Post
    Thanks for all of the info. Yeah, I wondered if maybe there was a diabetes thing going on but did not have GD while pregnant. I may go to my GP and see if I can get a fasting blood sugar test done, just to be sure. Diabetes runs in my family so it could be possible. Of course, not sure about the hot flashes, maybe that is hormone related.
    I get episodes of low blood sugar (although I don't have full-blown diabetes) and they make me feel dizzy, anxious, and when they are pretty bad, I feel really hot all over (and then cold, sometimes). Diabetes runs in my family as well (although unlike you, I did have GD during pregnancy). I would definitely have a glucose test done just to be sure!
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.