Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Painful nipples.Need help FAST!!

Default Painful nipples.Need help FAST!!

Hi
    My LO will be 6 mos old in the next 4 days. I've been pumping and working for the last 2 mos just fine. However over the last few days my nipples have become very painful. It's painful to breastfeed even though he is well latched on.
    It's even more painful to pump so I feel like engorged breasts are only a matter of time. I try to pump on the lowest possible setting but that suction is not effective to get the milk out. I tried hand expression but it takes so long that I am still not able to empty the breasts.
    I don't know what to do because if I can't pump then there's no breast milk for him to take to his care provider.
    I need any suggestions, ideas FAST!!

Default Re: Painful nipples.Need help FAST!!

heres a couple of ideas
    something wrong with the pump?
    sometimes taking it appart and putting it back together fixes the problem
    He you got your period back? Some moms notice a dip when they are on thier period or before...

could you be pg?
    That can make your nipples hurt

heres a link that might help you figure out whats going on
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-bab...les-older.html

don't be afraid to call your local leader also
    she can help you figure out whats going on.
    hope you are fealing beter soon.

Could it be thrush or bacterial infection? Perhaps it would be a good idea to contact your doctor just to rule out these two things. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

Could be AF? Mine returned at 7 mos. I know my nipples hurt (almost to the point of making my toes curl!) for several days prior to ovulation, both when I pump and when I nurse. Sometimes tylenol helps. Lanolin also helps a bit. But mostly, I just suffer through knowing that it'll only last a day or two.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Well AF returned one month after delivery even though I was exclusively breastfeeding.
    But when I check it out I also have some cramps in my tummy right now and when I check the calendar I well could be ovulating.
    I am however afraid to pump with the pain because I am afraid that my nipples will get damaged.
    I will however try the Tylenol.
    Thanks.

Forgot to mention too that my LO just cut hid first two lower front teeth. Yikes!!

i had the same expereince 3 times and my baby is only 4 months old. i went to the doctor each time and we figured out that my milk ducts are blocked and there was inflamation. i was put on antibiotics and it felt so much better!!!! but the inflamation kept coming back when the anitbiotics treatment completed for the 1st 2 times. the 3rd time, i was put on a bit longer term of antibiotics of lower dosage. i have been feeling ok for 2 weeks now. The sympyoms were nipple hurting when feeding or pumping. and you feel big lumps in your breast. and your breast hurts especially "after" feeding and not "before" feeding