Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: High Arch in Baby's Palate

Default Re: High Arch in Baby's Palate

Read through this, sounds like thrush. http://www.llli.org/NB/NBJanFeb03p9.html

Thank you so much for sending that article! That describes exactly what I have been going through (plugged ducts and yeast infection - yeast infection is basically Thrush without the outward signs on mom and no symptons in the baby)! My doctor has given me medicine to help get rid of the infection and mentioned eating a lot of yogurt but she never mentioned acidophilus which the article discussed. My husband is going out tonight to get me some of that . Maybe that will help clear this up more quickly!

Again - thank you! It was so encouraging to read about someone else going through almost exactly what I am! I appreciate you caring so much!

You can also go on a candida diet with special care to eat enough of everything else since you are producing nutrition for another person. No sugar, limited yeasts, its not much fun.

How are you washing everything down in your house? This will bear some scrutiny. Thrush scoffs at hot water, you may need to launder with some vinegar. Boil your bras for 20 minutes, and wear a clean one every day. Anything that touches your breast needs this treatment. Vinegar or boiling.

Hello, just wanted to pop in here with a suggestion for something that worked for my daughter and I. We had flat nipples, tongue tie, and a high palate. One of the things we did was Craniosacral therapy, which helped her palate tremendously. My LC mentioned it and my midwife referred us to a therapist.
    Mama to DD#1 Exclusive pumper for 3 months before getting back to breast

and

DD#2 Straight from the tap since birth

I boiled everything daily for a week (bra, pump, pacifier, etc.) - should I still be doing that? I stopped thinking that a week would be sufficient. I also threw out all the breast milk I had pumped previously. I have tried the diet - but am not very good about it. I have reduced the amount of sugar considerably and have a list of foods that my doctor gave me that I am also trying to avoid (peanuts, yeast, etc.) - Any idea how long before things are cleared up and I get back to normal (relative term I know )? I thought that with treatment (medicines - nystatin & diflucan), things would gradually get better and then be better. I am finding out that they get better for a few feedings and then worse again.

I did get the acidophilus yesterday and have been taking "megadoses" of that today. We will see if that helps.

I haven't heard of Craniosacral therapy. Can you give me some information on that?

Read about Craniosacral therapy here: http://www.icapediatrics.com/referen...Breast-Feeding

Have you considered using Genetian Violet on your nipples?
    Last edited by carpentergirl; May 3rd, 2008 at 08:42 PM.

Craniosacral therapy is pretty alternative, everything I have read about it online is negative, but I think it really helped us. The basic idea is that a baby is all squished in utero and coming through the birth canal. Once they are born their bones begin shifting to where they should be (why newborns have funny shaped heads at first). Sometimes they don't move the way they should and bones get "stuck." In my daughter's mouth, the two plates of her upper palate were overlapping and hadn't moved apart, resulting in a very high arch. The craniosacral therapist uses very light touch to influence the fluid in our body to encourage the bones to keep moving the way they should.

I think I explained it right. Anyway, like I said, it is totally not mainstream medicine, but it helped us.
    Mama to DD#1 Exclusive pumper for 3 months before getting back to breast

and

DD#2 Straight from the tap since birth

I have heard about Genetian Violet but haven't used it because right now I am putting Nystatin on my nipples after each feeding. Also, I wasn't sure of the purpose of Genetian Violet - is it used to treat the yeast infection or heal the nipples? Everything I have read talks about it being some type of dye.

From reading about Craniosacral therapy it looks like it is used when the baby is having difficulties nursing. Is that assumption correct? My lo isn't have any trouble nursing - the only problem with having a high palate that I can tell is my sore nipples.

Genetian Violet is a plant dye. You can read more about its use and anti-fungal properties here: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...tml#treatments Scroll down to the Genetian Violet section.

Massage therapy is good for many things. In order for it to work on a baby's latch the therapist encourages a range of movement and reflexes. I am obviously not a craniosacral therapist, this is just my understanding of what they do. It is absolutely worth a call to see if they feel they could assist with the nipple pain you are experiencing. Your baby is not having difficulty removing milk, but you say you are experiencing pain. It could just be the thrush, It could also have to do with having a shallow latch because of the shape of baby's mouth.