Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Arch in Baby's Palate

Question High Arch in Baby's Palate

Hello! My little one (#3) is 3 and a half weeks old and I am having severe nipple pain - while nursing and in between. I was told at the hospital that my LO has a high arch to his palate and that could cause problems with breast feeding. They were right! Does anyone have any advice on how I can help this situation and reduce the pain?

Default Re: High Arch in Baby's Palate

No personal!
    Do give your local leader a call she can give you more info!

Ouch! A high palate is certainly a challenge for a nursing mom. I think the key is to get your baby to latch on as deeply as possible. The further your sensitive nipple is drawn into the back your baby's mouth, the less it will rub against his palate. As Andrea suggested, I would definitely call a lactation consultant or LLL leader for help with your latch. You might also try to go braless/topless as much as possible, to reduce the irritation of cloth on top of hurting nipples. You can also try expressing some drops of milk after your baby is done feeding, and rub the milk into your nipples to help condition and moisten them. Hang in there! If you can make it past these early difficulties, your baby's mouth will grow and he's going to stop hurting you.

Just hang in there. My lo has a high palate and I have flat nipples so we had double trouble! Don't rush the baby latching on, make sure that he has his mouth open as wide as possible. Don't be afraid to firmly put him on the breast and hold him tightly against you. This has worked for us. My lo is now 9 weeks old. Also, my LC said that with continued bfing lo's mouth will adapt to your breast and it will get easier. HTH
    Exclusively , , and when we find the time !!! And now loving Totally bleesed with born 2-25-08.

Thank You all! I did contact my local LLL and she was very encouraging. She also has a lo with a high palate and gave me some good advice, offered to meet with me and gave me some names of LCs I could contact if needed. The pain is getting better and we have reached our 4 week mark. I have survived cracked and bleeding nipples, mastisis, yeast infection in the milk ducts and am now working out the high arch problem. Hopefully this will be our last hurdle and things will go smoothly from here. I BF my second for 6 months - that is my goal with this one.

Thanks again - as you all know - an encouraging word makes a world of difference!

Thats terrific! Keep us updated, stay awhile!

Wow, you are one tough cookie to deal with all those issues and stick with it!
    Loving mama to S - 11/06, and F - 1/09

Ugh!! Why is it that we have a few good nursing sessions only to be followed by several painful ones again? I have decided that I need to keep track of the pain level of each feeding to try and find a pattern (and to remind me during the painful ones that I have had recent painless ones!). Hopefully, I will see that the painless ones are happening more often and it will encourage me!

Also, a lot of my pain is happening between feedings again - so I am somewhat worried that the yeast infection is back. I really hope not! Who knew so much could happen in just four weeks.

Thank you all again for your support! This site is a God send!

Can you explain the pain between feedings in more detail? Where is the pain, what type of pain?

The pain is this shooting pain that starts in the back of my breast and goes toward the nipple. It is a very sharp, stabbing pain. I was told (when diagnosed with the yeast infection) that it was the milk coming in and it hurt because the milk ducts were infected. It used to be between every feeding. Then I had a few days of no pain between feedings (just nipple soreness) - now the pain is once or twice a day between feedings.