Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: DS not interested in BF and HATES formula

Question DS not interested in BF and HATES formula

I am in need of serious help.
    My son is 8 1/2 months old and was bfing fine till a few weeks ago. He is completely disinterested in bfing now, bfeeds only twice a day [morning around 7am and at night around 7pm] and even at those times I have to practically force him. He's too busy looking around.
    He loves his solid food though and has 2 full meals twice a day.
    He used to eat 3 times a day but I had to stop the evening meal cause he wouldn't bf then.

My ped really scared me by saying that he needs between 16-24 ounces a day and I have to get him to drink more.
    So I tried mixing formula in cereal, tried the sippy cup which he loves to drink water with, baby bottles. EVERYTHING and it's like he knows whats in there and will make these faces and refuse to drink/eat anything that has formula.

Since I have always BFed I have no idea how much milk i produce and what he is getting and I CANNOT express milk at this stage.
    (
    I really really want to BF him till he is at least a year old but at this rate I am so scared that my supply will stop on its own.

He seems to be growing fine and is happy and active.
    How can I get him to drink more BM or even formula.
    If he takes formula I am also scared that he will not want BM at all then.
    Will my supply stop if he feeds little at each feeding and only twice a day?

Help!!

Default Re: DS not interested in BF and HATES formula

This sounds intense, and I can certainly understand why you are worried.

How are his diapers? Is his urine staying clear or pale yellow? Dehydration is the first concern. If you are giving him any other liquids with his meals, you might withhold them and instead offer to nurse. Nursing before solids is always recommended for babies under 1 year anyway.

He may well be getting more at each nursing session than you realize -- older babies can get really efficient at draining the breast, and your body has been lactating long enough to be very finely attuned to his cues and his demand.

Nursing strikes are common at this age, but this doesn't really sound like a nursing strike to me, since he is happy and is still nursing with some coaxing. If he's not getting dehydrated and breastmilk remains his primary fluid, then I would just go with the flow for now. As he gets older, he may develop better "filters" and be able more often to settle down and nurse without looking around so much.

--Rebecca

how are his night time nursing habbits?
    do you co-sleep? Maybe he's getting what he needs at night

Still, it could be a nursing strike. at this age it's really common.
    Sorry to hear youre going through such a tough time. I do believe that with a little perseverance he will start nursing again. just keep offering it. if he doesnt want to nurse, accept it, ask for a hug from dh (or SO) and wait. give him plenty of water to make sure he's hydrated. i would try pumping or expressing as much as you can, just to keep your supply up.
    since he is nursing sometimes, you know he is getting something at least. I wouldn't push formula on him at all - he's a smart kid for rejecting that one

Thank you guys.
    I am pretty sure he is not dehydrated cause he has many wet diapers in the day.
    I am trying to add as much water as I can to his meals but I only give him water in a sippy cup 1/2 hour after he has meal. I am also giving him pure coconut water [it's not juice and so no bad sugars] through the day which he loves.

My main concern is with the nutrients he is supposed to get out of BM and is he getting those with the little bit he is drinking?
    I agree that he might be very efficent and getting more than I think - I really really hope so!!
    The formula rejection I agree is a good thing in its own way and the only reason I was trying to give it was to make sure he gets those nutrients!

We do cosleep and he sleeps 10 hour nights without ever waking up for a feed.
    Now is that something I need to worry about?
    Also if I start pumping I amreally scared that my supply might increase too much. I had issues with too much milk in the beginning.

Thanks

coconut water is a great source of rehydration and trace nutrients and stuff.
    I wouldnt worry about nutrient loss too much, after all, he is nursing a bit, as well as eating a bit, and no one died of malnutrition after missing a few meals
    it is very likely that your baby is getting very efficient at nursing and he gets everything he needs from your milk when he does drink.
    If you're REALLY worried about knowing how much BM he drinks from you, you can weigh him first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach, then let him nurse his belly full, and weigh him again (with an accurate scale that measures to a low unit, obviously).
    If your baby is sleeping 10 hours at night, dont worry - have a party!!! lucky you!!!

your supply will increase a bit if your start pumping more often, but it wont make much difference if your pumping replaces feedings, and your supply will increase to match the amount you take out. it will also self-correct soon after you stop the extra pumpings.

I really agree with Quakerm0mma...sounds like your DS is healthy and doing fine and it might make sense to just go with the flow for now. I also deal with oversupply issues, although with baby #2, I haven't pumped at all, and don't have any problems (because I'm not overstimulating them I think?) Anyway, when my 1st baby was about that age and really loving solids, and really active and liked to do other things like your ds, I worried about lo not getting enough breastmilk either, so I did like Quakerm0mma suggested. Until lo was about 1 yr old, I always offered the breast before meals. I got some flak for this from my mom, but evidently with formula they told moms they needed to give solid food first, then formula afterwards or something like that. I ignored her, and she got over it. Then, before naps we would nurse too, and I would sometimes need to go to lo's bedroom to nurse with the lights dim and no other distractions...I guess it was so boring in there, lo didn't mind nursing. I would let lo have water in a cup, but made sure it was in between meals, I didn't give him any other beverages, no juice or anything. Maybe your ds would choose to nurse if he had the opportunity to get thirsty. You could try cutting out the coconut water and offer the breast instead when ds is thirsty. Babies are smart, you could explain to him that if he was thirsty, he could nurse and maybe your ds would choose to nurse if he knew that was what was available at that particular moment. But don't let him get dehydrated, if he refuses to nurse, regular water will keep him from getting dehydrated. Coconut water may have nutrients, but I don't think that it has enough to compete with breast milk. As for the formula, I've heard that the taste is so bad, that alot of breastfed babies never like it after they've been nursed for quite a while.

Good Luck! Hope this helps.

Thank you very much guys.
    I feel so much better knowing that he is fine and that I am not completely messing up.
    I'll try the weighing thing.. never thought of it and that completely makes sense and will also feed him before I offer him any solids.