Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: completely confused about weaning and pregnancy (XP in pregnancy and BFing)

Default completely confused about weaning and pregnancy (XP in pregnancy and BFing)

DD is only six months right now, and I wouldn't even think of weaning her for at least another year. Here's the thing though...I've been trying so hard to decide whether I should wait for DD to want to stop nursing before DH and I try to get pregnant again (which I wouldn't try to do for another year at least), or if I should just try to get pregnant around this time next year, like we originally planned, and see if she nurses through pregnancy. I just don't know what would be best for her. We planned on having children relatively close together, and we'd like to have three or four altogether. But I don't want pregnancy to bring an abrupt and/or traumatic ending to DD's BFing relationship with me. Basically, I just want to do what's right...But I have no idea what that is. It would break my heart for her to be sad about my drop in milk supply while pregnant, etc. But if she's not ready to wean until she's four or something--that just seems like it would be a long time between siblings, and we might not be able to have the number of children we'd planned on having then. Argh. Any thoughts on this? I'm so confused about what's generally the ideal re: weaning.

Default Re: completely confused about weaning and pregnancy (XP in pregnancy and BFing)

It seems this is really stressing you out!
    My advice is to wait and see what happens in the next year. Many people (myself included) can get pregnant while BFing. It's true that most women's supplies drop during pregnancy also, but not all.
    Personally, I got my period back when DD1 was 13 months old but it was irregular until about 18 months. We tried to conceive when DD1 was 21 months old and got pg right away with DD2. I nursed DD1 through my pregnancy (We were nursing 2-3 times daily when I got pg and are now down to 1 time each day) and still nurse DD1 at night before bed.
    My personal feelings are that I would probably wait until the older child was at least 1 year to start ttc.
    I bet everything will work itself out in time! We can't always plan these things, right?

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Default Re: completely confused about weaning and pregnancy (XP in pregnancy and BFing)

Thanks for the support I feel better about things now...I think we'll just wait until she's at least 18 months old and take it from there!