Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ouch! Will my breast stop hurting soon?

Default Ouch! Will my breast stop hurting soon?

My LO cut her top teeth at the beginning of the month. The last couple of days I've noticed some pain while feeding. I'm positive she's not biting me but I think her top teeth are rubbing my breast and hurting it. I don't have any sores but it sure is uncomfortable when I'm feeding her. My breast are more sensitive when I'm pumping now too
    Am I doing something wrong now, or is it possible she has changed the way she latches on? I look at her while she's latched and everything looks normal. It also feels normal while she's eating except for the pain I have on the top of my nipple. Or maybe....my breasts just need to get used to the new teeth?
    I'm Jill
    Mother to
    Bear 12/13/98
    Bagalli 8/5/07
    little (3/21/09).
    Kafessa: 5/17/10
    expecting 10/1/11

Default Re: Ouch! Will my breast stop hurting soon?

Maybe this link from kellymom can offer some helpful ideas.
    I didn't have scraping issues until my DD1 was a little older and she understood "No biting." I would unlatch her and tell her "no biting" and then if she continued I would stop the nursing session by setting her down and putting my breast away so she got the message.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Teething can cause baby to latch on differently. In addition to the info linked above, here's another informative resource:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/teeth.html

Could it be AF returning? About the same time my LO was getting teeth, AF also returned. My nipples are sore for a few days prior to ovulation each month.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Thank you for the advise. I think she was latching on a little differently and that's what was causing the pain. We worked on her latch and it feels much better. Thanks so much!
    I'm Jill
    Mother to
    Bear 12/13/98
    Bagalli 8/5/07
    little (3/21/09).
    Kafessa: 5/17/10
    expecting 10/1/11