Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Okay I think it is time...

Default Okay I think it is time...

I want to SORTA wean Landon now. He is almost 14 months old and has been exclusively breast fed from day one. I have been on the don't offer don't refuse policy for the last two months and that has helped a lot, but here is the problem... For the first month of this he seemed to only want to nurse in the early morning, right before nap time, and right before bed time. That was perfect for me. I am trying to keep it to being at home now, because he is so active that anytime I nurse him in public he doesn't want to be covered anymore and he splashes my goods to all within a one mile radius (a strange man actually "thanked" him for this...now that was just creepy!!! ). Well in the last few weeks he has been demanding (and I do mean demanding) to be nursed whenever I hold him anywhere near the girls. I pick him up and put him on my hip and he supermans his way down to the utters. I don't know what to do about this. I am in no way ready or in a hurry to wean him completely, but I would like him to stop demanding it all the time. FYI... He eats great during the day as long as I give him anything BUT baby food. He has 3 meals and snacks, and breastmilk in the middle of the day. He does fine with other people during the day and doesn't demand that they breast feed him. So I know it is just me. How can I slow him down without hurting his feelings or our nursing relationship? and how do I get him to sleep a little better at night and not wake up three times.
    Thank you in advance for you help,
    One tired, haven't gotten a full nights sleep in years, wanting my body back, stay at home momma to the two best kids in the world (I know I am biased)

Default Re: Okay I think it is time...

at that age my son was cutting his teeth and the best things to curb his nursing was to rub his gums and cheeks, offer cold snacks, and good rubbery things to chew on.
    if it's more of a need for one on one time with mom you could try distracting him from nursing with special activities. (read new books from the library, go on a walk together, put on music and dance together)
    it got so much better for us once his teeth came through.
    i hope things improve for you as well!
    good luck!

I have been using distraction to keep my 15 MO from nursing as often. Coloring, playing outside, going for a walk, or going to the park(It's really nice here this time of year, and he loves to be outside). It has worked pretty well, He now only nurses about 3x a day. It sounds though like it will pass in time. Maybe teething, or even just a version of seperation anxiatey? My LO, who is not normally shy, recently had 3-4 weeks where suddenly he was shy, and always had to keep an eye on Me, then he stopped as suddenly as it started.
    Chelsea
    Mommy to:
    Nate 1/17/07 Emma Lynn 7/13/08 @ 31 weeks and Clara 2/26/10
    Cloth diapering convert
    love to and

I was going to add that you could try seeing what he does if you don't nurse him on every single demand. He may just whine for a second, then go on playing. If he does start to cry, then you could nurse him. In trying to gradually wean down my LO, I realized that sometimes he didn't really want to nurse, he just seemed to be checking if "they were still there" if you know what I mean. He would pull up my shirt when I was sittng watching him play, and if I offered he would nurse for a min. I decided one day to see what he would do if I didn't offer when he did this. He pulled up my shirt and I said "they're still there". He put my shirt down, tried it one more time, and said peek-a-boo, he laughed, and went back to playing. Might be worth a shot if you haven't tried it already.
    Chelsea
    Mommy to:
    Nate 1/17/07 Emma Lynn 7/13/08 @ 31 weeks and Clara 2/26/10
    Cloth diapering convert
    love to and