Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thrush and major pain!

Exclamation Thrush and major pain!

I have thrush, at least I think. My daughter has white spots in her mouth and I have stabbing pain in my chest. We have been doing Nystatin and Gentian Violet on Tuesday. I have been wearing more of a sports bra type nursing bra. One side of my chest got very engorged last night and my daughter seemed to never drain it all the way i woke up and it is very painful and sore to the touch I pumped out everything I could, took a really hot shower and massaged my breast. I don't have a fever or flu like symptoms and have put on a normal nursing bra (but it is a bit too big, it was from my first child). Any advice? The thrush has definitely not gone away from me.
    Mom to
    Carlie 4/3/08 - bf - Allergic to milk determined by allergy testing. Adding wheat, egg, & soy to my diet.
    Allergen free diet until 6 months. No gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, nuts, treenuts, seafood, and fish for mommy as a preventative.
    Birth - 9lbs. 1oz., 20 1/2"
    6 months - 19lbs. 15oz.

Peter 8/31/05 - bf/ebf until 14 months, was allergic to wheat and milk but outgrown these allergies. Eczema brought on by berries.
    and

Default Re: Thrush and major pain!

I feel for you!
    I've been suffering from Thrush+ Breast infection for over two months now!!
    Gentian Violet usually does the trick, though...but you need to make sure you wash all your clothes (60 degrees) and your baby's bottles and pacifiers so that you don't re infect.
    I'm now taking something super strong called Fluconazol and that is pure magic! Stopped hurting in just two days!
    Warming up your breast right before the feeding also helps. Just soak them in warm water or use a hot cloth.
    Continuing brestfeeding is also essential...I know how much it hurts but it's worth the effort!
    Good luck!

Could you possibly have a clogged duct? That was my first thought when you mentioned the sports bra, painful and sore to the touch after engorgement, etc.

What symptoms are you having that make you feel you have thrush? Can you describe the pain?

We had thrush for several weeks - yes, it can take that long to go away. Ultimately this was our treatment plan:
    1. Wiped nipples with a vinegar/water solution and used All Purpose Nipple Ointment after each feeding.
    2. Baby was treated with Nystatin.
    3. Used fresh towel and fresh bra daily, washed them and all clothing in hot water with a cup of vinegar added, as well as anything my milk touched (i.e. burp cloths).
    4. Went braless and topless whenever possible. When I wore a bra I used nursing pads - that cut down on the friction - but changed them frequently.
    5. Did not use lanolin or expressed breast milk on my nipples.
    6. Boiled all pump parts, bottle parts, pacifiers, etc. daily for 20 minutes.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

The pain is a cramping pain of my boob.

We thought it was thrush with my son 2 years ago but it turned out being staff.
    Mom to
    Carlie 4/3/08 - bf - Allergic to milk determined by allergy testing. Adding wheat, egg, & soy to my diet.
    Allergen free diet until 6 months. No gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, nuts, treenuts, seafood, and fish for mommy as a preventative.
    Birth - 9lbs. 1oz., 20 1/2"
    6 months - 19lbs. 15oz.

Peter 8/31/05 - bf/ebf until 14 months, was allergic to wheat and milk but outgrown these allergies. Eczema brought on by berries.
    and

Here are a few helpful thrush resources:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/thrush.html
    www.breastfeed-essentials.com/thrush.html
    www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVOctNov98p91.html

Does anything here sound familiar? If not, try here:
    www.llli.org/NB/NBMarApr07p76.html

Keep us updated!