Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Relactating after 5 mo?

Default Relactating after 5 mo?

I havent nursed my baby since Begining of december.She nursed for 1yr. She was 1yr old december 6. We stopped because, the doctor said i wasent making enough milk and needed to supplement with formula(she wasent gaining enough weight she said) well it took us about a mont for her to like formula. well she cannot handle cows milk. She gets diahrea and a bad rash in her diaper area(bright red almost bleeding 1 hr after drinking 1-2oz of cows milk, she has a dairy allegry.) Well i still have some milk in me, and i was wonderning if I should start pumping to give it to her. She is on infamil next step lipil,at 16 almost 17 mo. sometimes she acts like she wants to nurse(lifts my shirt,tryed to get my breast out and opens her mouth) but all she does it bite me. since the switch to formula she is usually pretty cranky and dosent want to eat much. I know that breastmilk is the best nutrition but will it be benificall to her to for all the pumping i will have to do? I am willing to but dont know what kind of quality my milk will have with not nursing for 4 almost 5mo. Like i said i can still express milk to my nipple.
    I just wonder if i switch back to breast if her crankyness, tummyackes, and frequent colds and infections will go away?
    Kristina Jeremiah since 2-18-1998
    Mother to
    2-02
    Gavin 1-03 Nursed 2.5mo
    Keean 5-04 BCLP
    Alexis 12-06 Nursed 12mo THEN
    Relactated after 5mo(due to her dairy intol.) and ended up making 30oz a day
    Now we are Weaned! AGAIN!
    Kason 6-2-10
    Birth..8 lbs 5.9 oz
    4 wks.... 10 lbs 12 oz
    9 wks.... 13 lbs 14 oz
    15wks... 16 lbs 4 oz
    17wks... 17 lbs 2 oz
    6 mo..... 19 lbs 6 oz
    7 mo .....20 lbs 3 oz

Default Re: Relactating after 5 mo?

I can't guarantee that all of your baby's ailments would disappear, but I can say that any little bit of breastmilk is beneficial.

If you want to relactate, go for it! The choice is totally yours.

Whatever you decide about relactation, perhaps you might consider dropping the cow's milk from your baby's diet? There are LOTS of ways to help baby get all the nutrition needed without the addition of cow's milk. I would definitely suggest talking to your baby's doctor about the reactions you have noticed.
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...s.html#cowmilk
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/w...html#othermilk

Here's some information on allergies:
    www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVAugSep97p75.html
    www.askdrsears.com/html/4/T041800.asp

HTH! Please keep us updated!

I have dropped cows milk and all dairy. She is currently on infamil lipil next step . I just started relactating last night. I an taking fenugreek as well as nursing moms tea And pumping. |I have a few milk drops!!!
    Mother to
    2-02
    Gavin 1-03 Nursed 2.5mo
    Keean 5-04 BCLP
    Kason 6-2-10
    Birth..8 lbs 5.9 oz
    4 wks.... 10 lbs 12 oz
    9 wks.... 13 lbs 14 oz
    15wks... 16 lbs 4 oz
    17wks... 17 lbs 2 oz
    6 mo..... 19 lbs 6 oz
    7 mo .....20 lbs 3 oz

Thats great. What type of pump are you using or are you manually expressing?
    I suggest that if you want to relactate, you pump or remove milk frequently!

I am using a Playtex Nursing nessaties pump i got when Lexi was a few mo old its a double. I just sterted pumping last night. but i am pumping for 25 min. What is the best pumping routine? what is power pumping?
    Where do u get the cute smilies that have pumping and cloth diapers at and how do u add them 2 your sig?
    Mother to
    2-02
    Gavin 1-03 Nursed 2.5mo
    Keean 5-04 BCLP
    Kason 6-2-10
    Birth..8 lbs 5.9 oz
    4 wks.... 10 lbs 12 oz
    9 wks.... 13 lbs 14 oz
    15wks... 16 lbs 4 oz
    17wks... 17 lbs 2 oz
    6 mo..... 19 lbs 6 oz
    7 mo .....20 lbs 3 oz

For induced lactation, or relactation you will have the best results with a hospital grade pump. Would this be possible for you? The cycles and suction in other pumps are really made for maintaining an already established milk supply. This is not really what you need.
    Here is a guide to breast compression, which will aid in milk removal for you. Remember to be gentle! http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html

You could talk to your Dr or WIC counselor about your need to provide your baby with something non-allergenic ( your milk) and may get help with renting a more serious pump. Your Local leader may have some ideas about pumps that would work for you, and a call there will also net you support and encouragement! Go here to find your local leader! Its free! http://www.llli.org/Webindex.html?m=0,0,2

The best routine is one that removes milk as often as possible. Would every three hours or so be doable for you? Even as much as every one-two hours would be greatly helpful. You send a msg to increase milk production every time you remove milk. Give it at least week, and take it slow. Your results may take a moment to kick in.

Power pumping is when you have a cycle of pumping. You pump for ten minutes, then stop for ten, then pump for ten. This encourages and tricks the body into more let downs of milk.

Thank you for the advice, i will call my local wic office tomarrow and see if they have any pumps not in use. They only have 4 i think. We are a small county. I barrowed one when she was a baby. it was the medala lactina. I will ask about the sns some wics i hear hand them out and some dont.
    Mother to
    2-02
    Gavin 1-03 Nursed 2.5mo
    Keean 5-04 BCLP
    Kason 6-2-10
    Birth..8 lbs 5.9 oz
    4 wks.... 10 lbs 12 oz
    9 wks.... 13 lbs 14 oz
    15wks... 16 lbs 4 oz
    17wks... 17 lbs 2 oz
    6 mo..... 19 lbs 6 oz
    7 mo .....20 lbs 3 oz