Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how often is normal?

Default how often is normal?

i know every baby is different when it comes to BF. but does baby feed less often as they grow older? i wasnt breastfed as a baby and my mom said she fed me around 4 to 5 times when i was 4 months old -each time just gave me more formula milk. i bf my baby 8 to 10 times when he was 2 months old... will he need less feeding from now on? and does that mean he drinks more milk from my breast each time?

Default Re: how often is normal?

Most breastfed babies do reduce their feeding frequency as they grow older. But not all! My daughter wanted to nurse every 1.5 hours during the day until she was around 15 months old, when she all of a sudden started eating a lot of solid food.

If your baby does decide to nurse less frequently, or for shorter amounts of time, don't worry! Most babies become very efficient at getting all the milk they need in a very short time period. When my daughter was a newborn, it took her close to an hour to finish a nursing session. By the time she was 4 months old, she would be done in around 10 minutes.

Just follow your baby's cues and feed on demand! Your baby knows how often he has to eat, and how much is right for him to eat each time. If your mom is used to formula-fed babies, she might be surprised that your baby wants to eat as often as he does- but remember, you're doing the natural thing, and that's the right thing!

My DD is 7 1/2 months old and she still nurses every 2 hours or so during the day. She usually sleeps through the night though (most nights!).
    since day 1 (Sept '07) !!! so Daddy can feed Mia while I'm at work! because we both love it!

I my Husband and Daughter!!!!

my lo is 6 months old and is still any every 2hr baby during the day and a 3hr baby at night.

My LO nursed every 2 hours on the dot until he was about 11 months old, but really it was no big deal, it was second nature to us by that time.

I think mom's start nursing less like that when they are weaning, some mom's used to be told (or still are ) that you must wean at a year. If you want to wean then cutting down on nursing and supplementing is the way to go, but if you don't want to wean keep nursing the baby as often as he requests.

How frequently a baby nurses depends on many factors (including the mother's milk storage capacity). Here's some information about nursing frequency:
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/frequency.html