Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How can I distract her while we're eating?

elliesmom is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default How can I distract her while we're eating?

My 5-month-old DD wants everything we eat. She grabs our glasses and pulls them to her mouth. She tries to grab our food off of our plate. I really want to wait till she's 6 months old and can sit unassisted to give her solids. How can I distract her while we're eating? Is it ok to give her a little water in a sippy cup? She's already drinking EBM from a cup by herself.

Default Re: How can I distract her while we're eating?

I would continue to give her the EBM in a cup, give her an empty bowl and a spoon, maybe a little water if she would like. It is all up to you! Congrats on actually wanting to hold out on the big kid food!

have you tried the high chair while you are eating?
    that works for some babies. Hows her pincher? can she pick up little things?
    I would sit my babies in the high chair and give them a few peices of cold cereal.
    And they would try and self feed. Most of the time they couldn't get them into their mouth but they sure loved trying. That was good for a few mins so I could eat with out holding them.
    I also used the swing at dinner time untill they were to big for it. WE put it next to the table so they could see us eating.

elliesmom is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I bought a high chair a few weeks ago. She hates it, as well as every other baby contraption we have . She wants mom and dad to hold her and play with her at all times, but can you blame her? She can pick up things with two fingers, sit up for a few seconds by herself, chews on everything (including my fingers - ouch!), and is attacking us for our food. I'm basically just waiting for her to be 6 months old (3 weeks away). She was up to eat 4 times last night, even though she's been sleeping at least 8 hours in a row for the last 2 months. Maybe she's starting her 6-month growth spurt. I don't mind giving her some EBM in a cup, but I don't have a lot of luck expressing or pumping milk, so there's not much for me to give her. She's growing up too fast!

I'm going to give her a cup to suck on today and see if that helps. If it doesn't, I'll try a bowl and spoon. Hopefully that will help too! I was hoping she wouldn't be interested in solids for a little longer.