Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Anyone else gaining weight or am I the only one???

Unhappy Anyone else gaining weight or am I the only one???

I've got a 10 week old that is being EBF, and obviously I lost the first week once I had her, however it's been a steady gain since. I'm really saddened and frustrated by this. I know a lot of it is because of inactivity due to her constant feeding cycles, is very clingy and does not like to be set down and she only naps once a day. I'm eating healthy however, and eat the same as I did when I was pregnant. We are supposed to even eat more afterwards right? Ha! I'll be as big as a house if I do that!

Anyone else out there? Are some women's bodies wacko after pregnancy and gain instead?

Default Re: Anyone else gaining weight or am I the only one???

I get frustrated with my post pregnancy body as well. I'm not gaining weight, I've actually lost most of it. BUT, its just not the same, KWIM? I've read you're not supposed to eat more than a normal diet when BF, but I eat WAY TOO MUCH. I'm just hungry ALWAYS, you know? Like when pregnant, I want to eat every 3 hours. Oh well, I guess I'll just live with it 'til after weaning.

I wouldn't stress too much until after weaning, but try to aim for not gaining anymore...

I was feeling very frustrated with my body/metablism around 10 weeks too. I wish I could tell you it starts melting away again, but I can't I can tell you that around 5 months I started counting Weight Watchers points and that has helped. They do allow more points for nursing mothers. I would really wait a bit longer though, just until your supply is really well established. I think it's hard b/c we go from being pregnant and not really realizing how much we are eating, to all of the sudden really wanting to lose weight and it's not nearly as easy as it was before the baby came.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

It's just hard because I've always struggled with my weight, and now I see it coming on again. How many calories would you both say you are eating daily? I thought and was told/read that we need to eat as much as we were during pregnancy + 300 additional calories. I by no means have added that 300 calories, but I have stayed consistant with what I was eating during pregnancy. What month did you start Weight Watchers? Any suggestions on when I can start to eat less but make sure my milk production stays the same?

I feel for ya. I gained 38 pounds during my pregnancy and had lost 25 of it by my 6 week pp appointment. I thought I was doing great and then somehow managed to gain 15 of it back after a few more months. My DD will be 2 in July and I've finally started losing in the past few months. I still have 10 pounds to go though.

Don't stress about it too much. Just focus on staying healthy and taking care of that little one
    ~Proud AP Mama To Natalie Ann *7/9/06* & Isabella Faith *7/6/09*~

I haven't gained any, but I haven't lost any either! I'm pretty stagnant with 10-12 pounds left to go (depending on whether lo needs to eat or has just eaten!! LOL) Before my 1st dd, everyone said that you lose weight while bf and the pound just melt off... they didn't! I worked very hard to get back to pre-preg weight and it took an entire year (I was within 5 pound when I got preg with dd #2!) So now, I'm giving myself another year to lose this weight... remember it took 10 months to gain the weight! I give myself 2 months after the birth to eat whatever I want (within reason) and then start trying to lose the weight. I'm not much of a dieter, so I use exercise to lose the weight. Pushing a double stroller is like weight lifting 50 pounds! Maybe I'll be thinner than before! LOL, I doubt it!
    Chris
    Happily Married since July 10, 2004
    Mom to Katie- June 14, 2006 and Allie- January 21, 2008

I gained, too and have heard it can be normal. You are right in knowing that it is all the sitting/laying/being with baby. Don't worry. This phase is very short lived. Try not to be frustrated and enjoy the snuggles with the baby.

The pounds have now come off (my lo is 11 months) as he is more active and I am chasing him all over the house. He only nurses a few times during the day for short intervals and I actually miss those long snuggles of the early days. (Yes, even the ones that at the time I thought "I can't possibly sit here for another minute!")

I was just like that, I lost a tone in teh first 2 mths cause I was barely eating and then I gained almost all of it back. My lo is a year now and I am still fat. I really thought breastfeeding would help but it didn't for me. Or maybe it did and I would really be as big as a house, lol! Anyway, I feel your pain, I just feel like I have run out of excuses now that she is a year old. I eat so much better now and walk every day. I am about to go see my dr and get a thyroid test just so I can be sure that its just me being lazy.
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.

I had gestational diabetes while pregnant, and so I got to visit a dietician a few times for that, and they set me up with a diet for nursing post pregnancy. I loosely follow it, but it's about 1900 calories. I've lost all my pregnancy weight, but I still have 10lbs to go to a good weight for me (I had about an extra 15lbs on me when I got pregnant...and of course still gained 25-30lbs.)

9 Starches/day
    6-bread/grain
    2-veggie
    1-dessert

4 fruits/canned/juices per day
    3-fresh and dried
    1-canned/juices 4oz serving

3 dairy per day (I tend to increase my dairy more than this)
    2-milk/soy milk
    1-light yogurt 6-8oz/low fat ice crm (1/2 cup)

4 non-starchy veggies
    2-dark green
    1-orange/yellow/red
    1-white/light green

6oz meats/cheese/soy/pb
    4oz-lean meat, egg whites and low fat cheeses
    1oz-pb/egg with yolk
    1oz-cheese/tofu

5 added fats/oils
    3-olive, avocado, oils, nuts and seeds
    2-butter dressings*
    *lose 1 fat for each oz of cheese/tofu/egg/pb

Nearly 12 wks and counting and so far so good.
    Last edited by LidaRose; May 2nd, 2008 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Missed asterisk

Well I can relate to the weight gain - at least the part where I have alot to lose anyway. I am not gaining weight now but I'm sure not losing it either! I cleaned up my diet since pregnancy - I gained like 60 lbs!!! I've also tried to get a few workouts in - the first week I did 5 sessions on the treadmill and didn't lose a single lb!!! So I am very frustrated with it also. I am also constantly feeding my little guy and am up about every 2 hrs in the night so I'm exhausted. I TRY to get my workouts in but it's hard. I was starting to wonder if the BF was preventing me from losing! The only amount I've lost is 20 lbs and that is not really my doing - 10 lbs 3 oz goes to my baby and the rest I'm sure was just the water and other stuff!!!