Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Does exercise lower milk supply?

Default Does exercise lower milk supply?

Hi ladies,

So I'm getting increasingly frustrated by the thought that summer is nearly here and I still wont be able to get into a bikini! I have about 20 pounds to lose and it seems like I'm just stuck at this weight. Ever since it's been warmer I've cut back to eating only when I am hungry instead of giving in to the craving and have been more than active than I have been in a long time. Have I shed any pounds, though? Of course not! So, I want to really start myself in a good exercise regime to finally get my body back but I'm concerned that it will affect my supply. I plan on doing a lot of running as part of cardio but I've heard different things about cardio -that it makes your supply drop or doesn't affect it at all? Which one is true? I want to lose weight and I'm willing to exercise for it but I don't want to lose my little guys milk because of it either.

Thank you!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

Default Re: Does exercise lower milk supply?

It's not supposed to lower your supply as long as you're not cutting calories like crazy at the same time. If you're running, make sure and get a good supportive sports bra, too. Other than that, should be fine. My OB said the same thing when I asked about losing weight- focus on the exercise, and don't cut your calories too much. Even if you don't lose all the weight you want, at least you'll be more toned.

Thanks! You know I was wondering though. How do you know if a sports bra is not too restrictive. I found this great sports bra that I totally love bc it's as bfing friendly as a sports bra can be. It feels fine to me but then again I'm not sure what it should or shouldn't feel like ykwim?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

I read somewhere that exercise makes your BM taste a little different. I can't remember why though. Just thought you might like to know...

I have been exercising since my lo was 4 weeks old. She is now 81/2 mo. She has never had a proble bf before, or right after exercise. I know sometimes when you lift weights and the lactic acid builds up the milk may taste funny little ones, but it has never been an issue with this daughter. My second daughter wouldn't nurse until 2 hours after exercising.

Running shouldn't make a difference in the taste.

As for lowering your supply, I haven't heard of that happening.

Hope this helps. I'm a workout fanatic!!! I think you should go for it!!!!!

That was it! Lactic acid! Man! Now you took my excuse not to workout. What will I tell my DH?

i run 5-6 days aeek and don't have supply issues.
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

Quote Originally Posted by jaki.my.ny View Post
    Thanks! You know I was wondering though. How do you know if a sports bra is not too restrictive. I found this great sports bra that I totally love bc it's as bfing friendly as a sports bra can be. It feels fine to me but then again I'm not sure what it should or shouldn't feel like ykwim?
    You want to feel held up but not totally smushed. For me it's important to get out of the sports bra right away after exercise. That way you're not in it for that long. Happy Running!