Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much is she getting bf?

Default How much is she getting bf?

I remember someone sending a link to kellymom some time ago that answers the question- how much bm does the baby get each time they nurse. I tried to find it in kellymom but have not had any luck.

If you know the link to that page please forward.

THANK YOU!!

Default Re: How much is she getting bf?

Thanks. I've seen these pages. Kellymom says on average baby gets 25 oz a day of bm from nursing, so about 3oz per feeding if nurse 8 times a day, which I am guessing is pretty close. I think for mine takes maybe 2-3 oz per feeding depending on time of day. I can sort of tell by how long and how vigorously she is suckles.

I am just trying to estimate how much milk she gets in a 24 hr period. She also nurses 2-3 times overnight. She has been refusing the bottle(at daycare) and given that she started solids, I may be overfeeding her and need to cut back on the milk. She gets formula while in daycare and bm rest of the time with me.

tbh, im glad oft hat link also...ds has really cut down the timings of his feedings to about 5 mins sometimes even only 3-4 mins...(occ longer tho - like 15-20 mins) and he feeds between 9-10 times a day..so that is about 2.5 oz a feed..and when i pump, which is rarely..i can get 4 oz in 5 minutes.....

so, he would be betther than a breast pump (i only have a manual one also) so in those 5 minutes he must be getting at least 2-3 oz a feed...

which is reassuring...he is a nightmare lately..on and off, looking around, and then just smiles at me and does his new sound of the week which is "geeeeeeeeeeeeeee"
    Last edited by samj; April 26th, 2008 at 06:57 AM.
    Samantha ---- Mom to Lucas, born 19th Jan 2008..and Georgia, born 8th June 2009
    Lucas 8lbs 1oz born at 42 weeks..now 27lbs at 20 months....bf exclusivly till 10 months then partly till self weaning at 17 months
    Georgia 8lbs 12oz born at 39+4 now 14lbs 5oz at 14 weeks...bfing going strong despite a shaky start

I sometimes weigh my ds before and after a feeding. He takes between 3-6 oz at a time. Normally about 4. He feeds 8 times a day, plus comfort sucking to sleep, where he gets one letdown. He has been like that since 1 month old. He is an average size.

You can't "overfeed" at the breast. It's fine to nurse as much as your baby wants when you're together.