Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Could my milk be deficient?

Question Could my milk be deficient?

This may sound like a strange question, but we are having a really difficult time getting my newborn to regain his birthweight. He was born at 37 weeks 2 days, weighing 5 pounds, 7.7 oz. He dropped to 5 lbs. 1 oz. by the time we left the hospital and as of yesterday (10 days old) he only had attained 5 lbs. 2 oz.

He's slow to get into breastfeeding, so we're doing a lot of supplementing of my breastmilk via finger feeding (under the guidance of our pediatrician and LC). But yesterday my husband asked me if I thought we should have my milk tested to be sure it is providing everything our baby needs. I was SHOCKED! I never would have even thought this could possibly be an issue, but now he has me wondering...

Is there such a thing as deficient milk or does nature somehow take care of this for us mommies? Just looking for some reassurance during a very stressful time!

Thanks!

Sallie

Default Re: Could my milk be deficient?

I'm going to venture to say that there's not much cause for concern at this point ( and may never be)

Seems you have a good supportive system working in your favour, and baby is gaining - and that is important.

Premies will gain at different rates so since your doc is supporting you in this, you're one step ahead of the game.

here's a resource that might prove helpful to you

Also - have you ever heard of an SNS, not sure if it's preferred over finger feeding or not...

Keep us posted
    Last edited by Number3; April 26th, 2008 at 01:10 AM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns..._increase.html

it sounds like you are doing all the right things..
    this link might help.

your milk is perfect for your baby:
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBMarApr06p82.html

My pediatrician says up to 2 wks to regain LO's birth weight, sounds like your LO is right on!!!

FWIW, I've nursed 2 and am currently nursing my 3rd and they never seem to get as chunky as my friend's LOs but have always gained no problem.

my Lo was born at 36 1/2 weeks and weighed 5 pound 15 ounces. was down to 5 pounds and 8 ounces when we left. Slow to nurse, not so great latch, and fell asleep a lot at the breast. She stayed at 5 % on the charts for months and then all the sudden at her 6 month check up was at 50%. I think you just need to keep up what your doing and give it time. Make sure LO isn't sleeping through feeding and offering the breast for comfort and food. Maybe babywearing to keep LO close and remind them to eat. They all get there!
    wife , mom, maid , cook , taxi. All in a days work

My husband just found out about the SNS on Medela's website. We've ordered it to be express shipped, and hope to have it early in the week. I like that concept much better than finger-feeding, although it seems a bit more cumbersome and complex to set up. Hopefully, we will find success with it.

Baby's next weight check is tomorrow afternoon. I've got my fingers crossed that we're making some headway. I'm getting really tires and weary from all the extra feeding steps, but don't want to give up on BFing!!!

Thanks for your support!

Sallie

Also - have you ever heard of an SNS, not sure if it's preferred over finger feeding or not...

Your breastmilk is the perfect food for your baby. Even mothers who are malnourished themselves will make nutritionally complete milk for their babies!

Have you tried breast compressions?
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15bre...mpression.html