Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: shifting night feeding

Question shifting night feeding

I posted this in the infant section but thought I'd try here also...

I'm headed back to work in a little more than a week and am trying to prepare for the demands of being a working mom. I would ideally like to shift my DS's 7-8 hr block of sleep at night. Currently, he seems to put himself down btw 7-8pm and wake up around 2 to nurse and then goes back to sleep until 6am. I thought that if I woke him up to nurse around 10pm he might sleep through til 5am when I would have to get up for work anyway.

Has anyone had any success with this or should I just continue to follow his lead?

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Default Re: shifting night feeding

I'm not sure if this would help, but I hold off my daughters 7:00 feeding a bit by having play time and then bath. That way we settle down for her last feeding at about 9:00 (I do nurse a bit at 7:00 - just not an entire feeding). Now it could be her, but that last feeding generally lasts until 10:00 when I finally put her down for the night and she will sleep until 5:00/5:30. You probably don't want to entirely change his pattern, but perhaps gradually adjust it to suit your needs, by say 1/2 hour each night. By the way, my daughter was also born April 5th - 4-5-6!

Thanks for the suggestion!

Yep, it's a great B-day. I got to pick it (I was overdue and had to be induced). I thought it was cute that he was born on 4-5-06 and his initials are LMN

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

My daughter wasn't supposed to meet the world until May 23rd, but once I found out she would be that early I liked that date. She was actually born at 1:23 PM, so her birthdate is 123456! My birthday is 543 ('73 actually, but still the same!) Good luck and I hope I was able to help. Let me know how it goes.