Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Shifting night feeding

Question Shifting night feeding

I'm headed back to work in a little more than a week and am trying to prepare for the demands of being a working mom. I would ideally like to shift my DS's 7-8 hr block of sleep at night. Currently, he seems to put himself down btw 7-8pm and wake up around 2 to nurse and then goes back to sleep until 6am. I thought that if I woke him up to nurse around 10pm he might sleep through til 5am when I would have to get up for work anyway.

Has anyone had any success with this or should I just continue to follow his lead?

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Default Re: Shifting night feeding

My pedi said that it is really difficult to put a young baby on a schedule. That until around 4 months you are pretty much at your baby's mercy.

Maybe you could try to keep baby up until 10p instead of letting him go down at 7/8p. I know that is hard once they get used to going down at a certain time.

Good luck

I've heard it can be done - but do it gradually. 15 minutes later everday (or every few days). But some babies get up at the same tiem no matter what their bedtime was.

Alternatively, you could try to "dreamfeed" him. When you go to bed, wake him up to feed him and then see if that makes him sleep longer.

I am finding that for the last two months, (DD is 4 months) sleep becomes an established pattern that changes every month! At 2 months, bedtime was 11pm and she woke at 4, then 6. At three months, bedtime gradually shifted to 10, with her waking still at 4. Now bedtime has shifted to 9, sometimes 8 and occasionally I get a block of 8 hours. Things gradually shifted with nothing on my part done differently. Dream feeds don't help with my DD, she will wake up anyways for a feeding at 4 like clockwork. Every now and then I get a curveball, but overall the older they get the longer they sleep, it seems. I say just keep doing what you are doing and let her work it out. Whenever I "tried" something, it never worked. She just had a mind of her own. GOOD LUCK.