Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Question about water in milk

Default Question about water in milk

My mother in law kept my LO today. We told her about setting milk in warm water to heat. Well, I came home from work and she had it in the sink with hot water just running on it. When I picked it up the lid was loose and the bottle was full. I had only 2 oz in it. I guess the heat had loosened it and water got in. Before I noticed this she told me one of the earlier bottles had a loose lid and had leaked out about 3 oz (I only had 2oz in it) So, I guess water got in it too and she fed it to LO.It was so diluted down. Will the water hurt her? Thanks, Jonna
    [/SIGPIC]FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT]Mommy to Haley 6/20/2000- BF- 1 year
    Ella 2/20/2008- BF- 111 months

Default Re: Question about water in milk

Uh oh! Gotta love the MIL! My mom doesn't know how to heat up the ebm bottles either, much less my MIL who rarely keeps LO. SSOOOOO much fun...

I've never heard of water hurting a LO, but it is definitely not recommended by most pedis until after 6 months. I would keep an eye on her for a day or two and let pedi know if anything strange is happening. She should be just fine.

Should be okay if your tap water is good...I think the reason they don't want you giving just bottles of water to babies is because it could throw their electrolyte balance off. That little bit should be okay, I would think.
    ~~~~ ~~~~
    Iryssa(24), DH(27)

DS born Sept. 21 '07, 8.5lbs
    Nursed for the last time Oct. 20 '08

DD born Jan. 20, '09, 8lbs 14oz

http://healthymomnbaby.blogspot.com/
    http://www.xanga.com/iryssa

Quote Originally Posted by Iryssa View Post
    I think the reason they don't want you giving just bottles of water to babies is because it could throw their electrolyte balance off.
    Unfortunately, it can be dangerous to give more than a small amount of water to a baby. Their electrolyte levels can be thrown way off, and that can make them very sick. Over-hydration can even be dangerous to adults- occasionally you'll hear a report on how a competitive runner drank too much water and made themselves very ill, or worse. I am sure your LO will be okay- but I would make sure that it doesn't happen again!

Thanks guys, so far she seems ok. She's not fussy and is eating ok. I'll keep watching closely though. Thanks
    [/SIGPIC]FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT]Mommy to Haley 6/20/2000- BF- 1 year
    Ella 2/20/2008- BF- 111 months