Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby cries at the breast

Default Baby cries at the breast

My 8 weeks old daughter started crying at the breast few weeks ago. She would eat at the first breast for 3-4 minutes and then she pulls off, she would a little bit more at the second breast and then the fussying, fighting and crying begins. I can only caml her down with a pacifier. I keep trying to bring her back to the breast for 15-20 minutes most of the time without success - at the end she either falls asleep exsausted or I give her a bottle of ebm. She is usually ok at night when she is half asleep while nursing.

I think she gets upset when the milk flow slows and probably likes the constant flow of the occasional bottle she gets (I am going back to work in 3 weeks so she will have to get bottles).
    I've read articles on breast compression and massage but I don't see any difference.
    I don't know what to do - I dont' want to give up on bf an just give her ebm and at the same time hate to see her crying at the breast like I am torturing her(
    Please help!!!! ANy advise will be greatly appreciated!
    Borislava

Default Re: Baby cries at the breast

This seems to be my stock answer for "crying at the breast". I'm a first time mom and am learning as I go so can only share my own [limited] experience....

Have you talked to your ped about the possibility of your LO having reflux? What you're describing sounds a lot like how my DS was at 5-6 wks old. Our ped said it sounded like reflux and put him on Zantac. He's now a brand new baby!

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

I agree with pp. Luke has reflux too. Babies with reflux will sometimes cry at the breast and then take a bottle of the same breastmilk just fine.

Thanks for your quick responses!!!
    My ped said the same thing and put her on Zantac. She took Zantac for a week and 1/2 but it did not make a big difference so we discontinued using it. I also stopped taking any herbal supplements (like Fenugreek) because my dd behaved even worse while I was taking it. She also spits up a lot right after ot between feedings.
    Her behavior is so inconsistent that I am not even sure what is the problem - sometimes she goes for 2-3 days without fussiing a lot - falls asleep at the breast and wakes up 1/2 - 1 hour later to eat again. Other days cries at each feeding.
    We are seeing the ped on Tuesday so I will ask again about the reflux - maybe that's it after all.....

it can take 2-3 weeks for reflux meds to work (it has to get into their system) also it needs to be given at the EXACT same time every day (even a 15 minute delay will make a difference) finally, if zantac doesn't work there are other reflux meds-my best friend's baby tried 4 before she found the right ones (luke is on axid)

Zantac is very weight sensitive and peds tend to start them on the lowest dose. If it wasn't working the dose may need to be adjusted. Also, it can take awhile before it starts helping your LO feel better. I think it was a couple weeks b/f our Luke's symptoms subsided. We also noticed that we needed to give it consitently at the same time everyday (eg. 7pm and 7am). Our ped had us supplement the Zantac with Mylanta after feeding. We have backed off the mylanta now b/c Ds seems to be doing fine on just the Zantac (for now...knock on wood ).

Jennifer

WOW, looks like Jennifer and I had the same experience.

Jennifer

Quote Originally Posted by luke's mom
    WOW, looks like Jennifer and I had the same experience.

And the same baby name

And my name is Jennifer, too!

Jennifer

Oh wow..that is crazy!! If you have a little girl ever you have to name her Victoria. J/K