Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Advice please?

Default Advice please?

This my first post and I dont even know if I actually should be worried. Here is my problem my 6 month old who is basically only breastfeed ( he has had bananas a few times) went to the doctor yesterday for his 6 month check up. Well, he only put on 15 ounces in 8 weeks but he gained 4 inches. My doctor said its not a big deal but as his mom I am worried. He dropped from 79% in weight to 45% which seems like such a big dip especially when his height had a 10 % increase.

So my question is should I do something to increase my milk? He eats every 3 hours (even gets up 4 times at night to eat still) and he doesn't seem hungry. I am just really concerned because he is my first and it just doesn't seem like a lot of weight for a 8 week time. Any advice? I might be over reacting but I have no idea how much he is eating because I rarely pump. My whole family keeps saying I should give him formula but my doctor was against this idea.

Also, not sure if this has anything to do with it but he was extremely low in iron so now he gets to have iron drops on top of his multi vit.

So sorry to ramble but I am so worried....

THANK YOU for any advice

Cassie

Default Re: Advice please?

Don't worry! You're doing a terrific job and it sounds like your baby is JUST FINE!!!

It's normal for a breastfed baby to have his weight gain slow way down around the 6 month mark. If he kept on gaining weight at the same rate he did as a newborn and young infant, he would reach the end of his first year too fat to move. :-) He's getting more mobile, which means that he's expending a lot more calories on motion, instead of packing them on as fat. Also, growth isn't always perfectly even: some months your baby will be putting more calories into height than weight, which is what it sounds like he did.

Formula-fed babies are different. They tend to gain weight more slowly in the first half of the first year, probably because formula is not as easily digested as breastmilk. In the second half of the first year, formula-fed babies tend to gain more weight than breastfed babies. Now, guess which growth pattern is normal and natural!!! Unfortunately, a lot of families who are accustomed to the formula-fed weight-gain pattern, and tend to really get concerned when they see a baby who's growing differently from what they imagine to be normal. Just let them know that your doctor isn't concerned, and if s/he's not, then they shouldn't be, either.

Relax. It sounds like you're doing GREAT!!!

I totally agree with PP! You're doing great! The doctor and all the research available are correct and unfortunately, you're family is misinformed. Gotta love 'em!

So glad to hear your doc is a smart one when it comes to BF babies! Remember, formula has the same number of calories per ounce as breastmilk--BUT, it doesn't have all of the immune factors and other good stuff as breastmilk, and it's harder for baby to digest. Think about that when your family suggests it. Keep it up!!
    Stephanie, mom to Jaime Hoban 11/04/07 and Annika Jayne 12/21/09

We . . . no room in the bed for more!

We love our cloth diapers!

lol you know what - not advice, but similar commiserating - My two month old only gained six ounces this week at his check up and Im concerned

he was gaining a pound a week before. The nurse told me I cant really expect him to gain a pound a week for the rest of his life or he will be absolutely humongous!

Mama to JerBear, the rough and tumble kid, 18 months.

All done nursing, all done pumping. Raising a toddler with food aversions and doing my best to deal with three painful conditions!

As long as he is having good wet diapers 6 or so a day and doesn't seem hungry I think he is fine. Sounds like he is eating plenty. Unless your doctor was surprised and concerned, which they weren't, then you are doing great. We were the opposite, stayed at 5% for 4 months then shot up to 50% in no time. You are offering the breast and he is eating and happy then all is well. 45% is wonderful!
    wife , mom, maid , cook , taxi. All in a days work

Quote Originally Posted by Momma1 View Post
    Don't worry! You're doing a terrific job and it sounds like your baby is JUST FINE!!!

It's normal for a breastfed baby to have his weight gain slow way down around the 6 month mark. If he kept on gaining weight at the same rate he did as a newborn and young infant, he would reach the end of his first year too fat to move. :-) He's getting more mobile, which means that he's expending a lot more calories on motion, instead of packing them on as fat. Also, growth isn't always perfectly even: some months your baby will be putting more calories into height than weight, which is what it sounds like he did.

Formula-fed babies are different. They tend to gain weight more slowly in the first half of the first year, probably because formula is not as easily digested as breastmilk. In the second half of the first year, formula-fed babies tend to gain more weight than breastfed babies. Now, guess which growth pattern is normal and natural!!! Unfortunately, a lot of families who are accustomed to the formula-fed weight-gain pattern, and tend to really get concerned when they see a baby who's growing differently from what they imagine to be normal. Just let them know that your doctor isn't concerned, and if s/he's not, then they shouldn't be, either.

Relax. It sounds like you're doing GREAT!!!

Yup.. my lo's growth slowely greatly around the 6 month mark. There is no need for formula!!!! You are doing just fine!!

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!