Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Just don't know what to do.....

Default Just don't know what to do.....

My dd is 16 weeks old. She was sleeping through the night (sometimes all night, sometimes waking just once) last month. About 2 weeks ago, she started waking more. She is very hungry and I am sure this isn't comfort eating since she will eat quite a bit (last nights 1st feeding was 6 oz). She is eating more during the day too and while this could be a growth spurt I am beginning to think that my milk just isn't enough for her. She weighs 14 1/2 lbs and just seems to eat and eat. I don't really want to start solids, but I am beginning to think I will have to. What is going on?
    Wife to Timothy (August 5, 2000), Mother to Kaitlyn Rose (June 11, 2006) and Rebecca Abigail (January 4, 2008)

Default Re: Just don't know what to do.....

I think you nailed it; growth spurt. If you've been making enough milk for her up until this point, then you should still be making enough. I mean, you've taught your body so far to supply what's demanded so I think you can trust that you will catch up to her needs. Remember what was important in the beginning; watch the diapers. If it's coming out, then it's going it and she's getting enough.

You just can't trust sleeping patterns right now.. When a parent who tells me their baby is sleeping through the night and the child is less than 6 months, I usually think, we'll see about that! Your child is becoming more aware and is learning to communicate more intentionally. This may make her a little more demanding at times, and a LOT more fun most of the time.

Nothing. A growth spurt it is. The only way to keep your supply up when a child is growing, is to be more demanding about eating. That's what's happening. She is getting bigger, gaining control of her motor skills, perhaps swinging at her toys? Or trying to roll over? All this takes fuel. When you are feeding your child on demand, NEVER assume that the child is not getting enough based on increased eating. The amount they eat when they weigh more and are getting longer simply HAS to be more. Assume they are not getting enough if they don't make enough wet diapers. If you've got 6wets a day you are doing fine.
    And honestly, although I am sure you were thrilled with the sleeping arrangement, (It sounds quite lovely) you will do best if you don't get attached to anything in the way of a sleep routine for at least the 1st year. Because everything changes every 4-6weeks. As the learn to sit up, crawl, cruise, walk and every time there are teeth breaking, the sleep patterns change. And the whole 1st year as the nap schedule changes and they sleep less during the day, bedtime will also shift.
    So just breath deep and keep it up. Your doing everything right. Just stay flexible and don't chase "they way things were" because as they change so does your sweet LO and always always for the better as they grow! HTH!

Way too lazy for formula

She is flooding her diapers during the night because she is eating so much. And she has been eating like this for 2 weeks. I just not really convinced it is a growth spurt at this point.
    Wife to Timothy (August 5, 2000), Mother to Kaitlyn Rose (June 11, 2006) and Rebecca Abigail (January 4, 2008)

i think it's just a change in behavior. i don't know why they do it, but they do. my lo used to sleep 7-9 hours straight from around 6 weeks until 15 weeks. now all of a sudden he wakes once, sometimes twice a night to eat. i have no idea why. i first thought it was a growth spurt, but it's been going on for a month now. i just let him sleep with us now instead of his crib, which is both good and bad for us. we'd like to get him back into his crob at night, but i also need to get sleep too. it's hard. sorry i don't know what to tell you, but at least you know you're not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverwolf View Post
    My dd is 16 weeks old. She was sleeping through the night (sometimes all night, sometimes waking just once) last month. About 2 weeks ago, she started waking more.

This is a very common phenomenon. Four month olds are generally wakeful. See this article for some reasons why:
    http://www.kellymom.com/parenting/sleep/4mo-sleep.html

Trust your body, trust your baby.

With my first son, he started sleeping through the night around two months - I thought he was wonderful and I was so lucky! Then the luck ran out - about four weeks later he started waking every couple of hours again and while we slowly eliminated some feedings through the night, it wasn't until he stopped nursing that he actually slept through the night again! At least you're in good company when it comes to this issue!