Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Clamping down,pinching,and complaining while bfing

Default Clamping down,pinching,and complaining while bfing

Okay , I really need some advice and support.

I know I should consult a LC but the only one I know of in this area charges. Right now that won't fit into my families tight budget. So......here I go. My Dd is four months. It took us awhile to get the hang of bf at first,but the last two months we were in sync.

Now she's started doing things that are confusing to me.

Dd has been occasionally pinching the side she feeds from for the last couple weeks. Today she clamped down (if she had teeth it would be considered biting) really hard while we were finishing up her feeding. When she did it she was sort of playing and smiling. It hurt really bad.
    She complains during(whines) during her feeding if I start feeding later then our usual time, or if she is over tired. She twist and turns and at times seems to be playing.
    After she clamped down today I ended the feeding. She had been feeding for quite some time. So I didn't worry if she had gotten enough.My breast still felt full. I tried expressing milk, they still had enough in them to leak and spray. So my question is what is going on is she bored with bf ? is that why she is playing while bf? or is she frustrated? If anyone knows what is going on please help.

Sheri

Default Re: Clamping down,pinching,and complaining while bfing

I hope someone does have an answer. My lo who has just started nursing does that same clamping down at the end. (just then though) I think he is starting to teethe already. He is almost 11 weeks. IT hurts bad. I am afraid when teeth do come in...
    Someone please tell us how to prevent this! How to handle teething?

My little guy is 10 weeks, and is doing the same thing. I think it's normal, and I try to think about it in terms of his development: He's learning cause and effect (what would happen if I did this with my mouth?), and the "complaining" could mean that our little ones are beginning to notice the world around them. I've noticed it's worse with my son when he's tired, or when he starts to get full at the end of the feeding. Maybe it's because the milk isn't coming out as fast as it did at first, and he's a little frustrated that he's having to work for it (?). At any rate, it helps me to remind myself that breastfeeding is a relationship, and like any relationship it is always evolving and changing instead of remaining stagnant. And our babies are changing so much! It's natural that the way they eat will reflect all of those changes.

Something else that helped me was watching a friend of mine nurse her one year old: He would fuss and fuss until she put him to her breast, then he would eat for thirty seconds, let go, squirm and look around for a minute or so, then take another thirty second "snack". I think I had this unrealistic view of a happy, content baby nursing with steady little sucks for fifteen minutes at a time - real babies aren't built like that, I think!

I don't know what to do about the clamping down, however - one mom in another post on here said that she would pull her baby's face into the breast for a few seconds and he'd let go when he couldn't breath. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but it sounds like a good idea! I am a little worried about what will happen when he gets teeth - his gums hurt bad enough as it is! Hopefully he'll be over this by the time those teeth come in, though!

Red face Re: Clamping down,pinching,and complaining while bfing

Sorry I didn't post a response until now. A little busy. Things are little better. I bought a nursing necklace, that helps a bit. But I noticed around the same time each day she gets frustrated. I believe for whatever reason my supply is lowest then and let down is slow. I hope it works it self out.

i have exactly the same thing happening to me. my lo is nearly 10 weeks and acts like a dog with a bone, shaking his head and then 'biting' down hard!!! I've just put up with it as it only happens occasionally but am very scared of teeth!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zemira's mommy View Post
    But I noticed around the same time each day she gets frustrated. I believe for whatever reason my supply is lowest then and let down is slow. I hope it works it self out.
    Is it happening in the evening by chance? Your supply is usually the lowest in the evenings. My LO will cry, fuss, complain in the evenings because he flow is not fast enough. She is 5 months.

Yippee ... it's *play* time.

In the early days I was on the LLL forum daily (and nightly). My LO is now 11 months - I can hardly believe it. I remember the first time she started clamping down. I too wondered if it had to do with low supply. Before you even begin to consider that as a factor ask 1) is your baby gaining? 2) do you have at least 6 wet dipes per day? If the answer is "yes" and "yes". It's certainly not supply. Probably, it's not anything to do with "you". If I have learned anything from the last 11 months (and talking with many fellow mommies during that period) it's that my daughter is her own person with her own developmental milestones. Babies react in ways that seem really funny sometimes.

Who knows why your LO clamps? Learning about cause and effect is one good explanation. Perhaps the feeling is interesting? Perhaps the reaction from you is interesting? Perhaps your LO is trying to stop the flow? Experimenting with ways to do that? I would hesitate to characterize *anything* a 10 week old as doing as "complaining", though.

It's only a problem if it's a problem, right? I personally found that the best way to discourage this behavior is to pull the baby in close - they can't breathe so they "let go". Dr. Sears suggests this method because it's relatively undramatic (not pulling off the breast) and also doesn't reinforce the behavior with some interesting reaction from mom (i.e. an animated "ouch" or "no"). Also, it's just effective. It worked for us when my LO was around 8 weeks. When she's teething now (and from time to time clamps for different reasons) it still works.

Good luck! Oh, and be sure to treat your nips nicely with plenty of expressed breastmilk and air drying!
    Last edited by jcclowen; May 11th, 2008 at 12:00 AM.

Lightbulb Re: Clamping down,pinching,and complaining while bfing

[QUOTE=jcclowen;508796]Yippee ... it's *play* time.

In the early days I was on the LLL forum daily (and nightly). My LO is now 11 months - I can hardly believe it. I remember the first time she started clamping down. I too wondered if it had to do with low supply. Before you even begin to consider that as a factor ask 1) is your baby gaining? 2) do you have at least 6 wet dipes per day? If the answer is "yes" and "yes". It's certainly not supply. Probably, it's not anything to do with "you". If I have learned anything from the last 11 months (and talking with many fellow mommies during that period) it's that my daughter is her own person with her own developmental milestones. Babies react in ways that seem really funny sometimes.

Who knows why your LO clamps? Learning about cause and effect is one good explanation. Perhaps the feeling is interesting? Perhaps the reaction from you is interesting? Perhaps your LO is trying to stop the flow? Experimenting with ways to do that? I would hesitate to characterize *anything* a 10 week old as doing as "complaining", though.

Actually for what ever reason she does it around two every afternoon. She is gaining...But slowly. We had a weight check a week ago. She was one week away from 4 months. She weighed 11 pounds 2oz. This Friday we had her four month check up and she weighed in at 4 pounds 4oz.

The doc said she's back down in the lower percentile. She also said not worry because she just might be a small baby. Of course I do worry. I honestly wonder sometimes that giving her more formula might be better. May be she'll be happier at feeding time and gain more weight. I am getting help from lc, to build up my supply. She is also producing less wet diapers. But still within the normal range for her age.

I have noticed that dd does watch my reactions to her biting and pinching. If I am animated in my reaction it makes things worse. I have also noticed dd does these things sometimes if she is overtired. She fights sleep, she doesn't want to miss a thing. So I believe this is cause of the whining.

I will definitely try the pull the baby close method concerning biting. Thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by jacq View Post
    i have exactly the same thing happening to me. my lo is nearly 10 weeks and acts like a dog with a bone, shaking his head and then 'biting' down hard!!! I've just put up with it as it only happens occasionally but am very scared of teeth!!!
    I feel your pain.