Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Teetering on weaning really need help (long, sorry)

Default Teetering on weaning really need help (long, sorry)

Teetering on weaning really need help (long, sorry)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,
    My name is Christy I have a ds who is2.5 who I b/f for 6mos (stopped b/c of biting and recurrent plugged ducts topped off by mastitis).

I am also a mommy to dd who is 7weeks.
    This is my problem. I am suffering terribly from painful spots in my breasts every 3-4 days on both sides. I am assuming they are blocked ducts. I uses heat, massage and us to unblock them and they go away only to return af ew days later. I am also 100% positive I have too much milk supply; OALD not dx and not spoken to LLL local or an LC. I think this b.c I always feel full and mean always, my dd sometimes chokes, she only eats 10 min on one side per feeding. I can pump at anytime during the day for 10 min and get at leat 4 oz.

So I have been trying block nursing to slow down my roduction however that seems to aggravate the blocked duct situation. It I nurse/pump frequetnly that seems to keep the production too hig. It is a catch 22.

I am miserable all the time b.c I am uncomfortable. I feel like I am neglecting my ds; I cannot even run outside with him b.c my boobs are so sore most of them time My poor dh I won't even let him near me.

I am not sure what to do here but just feel lief would be so much easier if I threw in the towel. I feel so guilty and I really do enjoy b.f her and want this for her... it is just not the wonderful expereince normal b/f moms have.

Thank you for letting me whine. I am sorry I have not posted anything since I registered; forgot my username and password.

Default Re: Teetering on weaning really need help (long, sorry)

I have a few ideas for you.
    First, try to get into contact with a league leader. They can give great suggestions and give you one-on-one help. Also, if there is any possible way, you should probably stop pumping until your milk supply is under control. Try putting a cold cabbage leaf in your bra. It sounds insane, I know, but it helps relieve the engourgment so much, and can actually decrease your milk supply. If you absolutley feel too full betw. feeds, hand express a very small amount of milk or pump for only 10-15 seconds, just until it is tollerable. You may feel worse for a day or 2, but it should get better. If you need to, extend your time of your blocks on each side. I have heard of some women having to 8 or 12 hours on one side to get their milk under control.
    Chelsea
    Mommy to:
    Nate 1/17/07 Emma Lynn 7/13/08 @ 31 weeks and Clara 2/26/10
    Cloth diapering convert
    love to and

Quote Originally Posted by ChelseaGirl7 View Post
    I have a few ideas for you.
    First, try to get into contact with a league leader. They can give great suggestions and give you one-on-one help. Also, if there is any possible way, you should probably stop pumping until your milk supply is under control. Try putting a cold cabbage leaf in your bra. It sounds insane, I know, but it helps relieve the engourgment so much, and can actually decrease your milk supply. If you absolutley feel too full betw. feeds, hand express a very small amount of milk or pump for only 10-15 seconds, just until it is tollerable. You may feel worse for a day or 2, but it should get better. If you need to, extend your time of your blocks on each side. I have heard of some women having to 8 or 12 hours on one side to get their milk under control.
    Chelsea Thankyou,

I have been using the cabbage leaves religiously since yesterday and I am noticing that it is helping. I have bben also hand expressing the right breast if I am uncomfortable. My proble is that I have a plugged duct on the left breast that is so very tender and red. This am it seem a little better after a second round of ultrasound and s hot showr before feeding her.

I should have clarified I was not pumping in additon to feeding her I was just replacing a feeding with pumping so that my dh could feed her at night or if we went out.

I remember being so desperate and not having any cabbage at home and not wanting to wait till I could get to the store; I took the shredded cabbage out of the bag of mixed salad and put it in my bra with lettuce leaves over it to help hold it in place! I REALLY smelled like a salad, then!
    You can also take motrin for the pain, but I always tried to let it wear off at least once a day to make sure I wasn't getting a fever that went unnoticed. Plugged ducts can turn into an infection, but as long as you keep an eye on them, you'll be fine.
    Chelsea
    Mommy to:
    Nate 1/17/07 Emma Lynn 7/13/08 @ 31 weeks and Clara 2/26/10
    Cloth diapering convert
    love to and

I was thinking ibuprophen as well. Not too often, but only when you really need it. And switch sides as little as possible. I had to go 4-6 hours on one side to get it under control. Are you leaking as well? Going without a bra may lead to leaking, but may also give you a little relief while you get things under control. Or the opposite is possible too - that you could use MORE support.. but no underwire for sure. I think that bras can cause plugged ducts sometimes.