Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Co-sleeping/Night Feeding

Default Co-sleeping/Night Feeding

I've been cosleeping with my LO since he was born, and now he is 3 1/2 months old and I am still enjoying this. But I have a question as far as the sleep feedings go. When he nurses in the a.m. hours, while I am half asleep, is it okay for him not to get burped? I wonder if I need to wake up more and make sure that he gets burped all the time? Or is it not a big deal? Thank you for any of your input in advance.

Default Re: Co-sleeping/Night Feeding

When my dd was that age I was still trying to burp her. My dd would fall back to sleep after nursing and it was so hard to burp her, it was like burping a wet noodle . I was also working at the time so if she burped that was great, if after a few minutes of trying to burp her and she didn't burp, we would lay back down. I noticed that if she didn't burp, she was more gassy in the morning and tooting a lot. Sorry not much help, just wanted to share my experience.
    Jen 30 ~ wife to Gary
    step-mom to 12 yo Hayden
    mommy to 1 yo Lilly

Goals:

We made it 1 YEAR!

My Lilly Bug is offically 1!

trying to quite but still

Loving & & ing

Oh no thank you. That does help. My little boy is the same way though! Once he is asleep, I try and try to burp him, but nothing comes out. Any time during the day though, once I have him in burping position (or sooner) he squirms around and burps come right out.

Wink Re: Co-sleeping/Night Feeding

I never burped at night...I am quite lazy when half asleep! Just in the morning when he stretches I always expect some gas. He seems to be fine though and it does not seem to bother him in the least.

I've always gone with the "don't wake a sleeping baby" theory. I never burp my lo at night, but it doesn't seem to bother her. I'd say unless he's uncomfortable and needs burping, there's no real need to wake him- jmo.

Babies tend to be more relaxed at night when nursing, so tend to gulp less and get less air, so they don't need to burp as much. Plus, as others have mentioned, for a lot of them it's nearly impossible.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

I don't usually burp my DS at night. If he has gas, and uncomfortable, he'll let you know. My DS cries when he has gas, I picked him up, burp him and put him back to his crib (we don't co-sleep, my husband is 100% against it).

I don't think gas is a big problem for him at this age.

You know, I never really have burped my son. He never seems to need it. It always seems that naturally he always passes gas when we've been holding him or he is playing. There have been a few times when he's been fussy when he was smaller and it was because he needed to burp but it's been a handful of times. When he gets a bottle though, I make sure he does burp.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

Thank you very much everybody, your input has been useful ...He usually does just fall right asleep and seems to be quite comfortable, so I'll not worry about burping him all the time in the future (I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't doing anything to cause him discomfort by doing so)...Thanks again!