Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: length of time feeding

Cool length of time feeding

hi,
    just wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience to me - my 8wo seems to like feeding for about an hour each time (using both breasts) and when she does this goes for about 3 hrs between feeds. i have been advised by BF advisor to see if i can reduce the time to about 30mins but she doesn't seem satisfied and wants to feed a lot more often! i know she doesn't actively feed for the whole 1hr or 30mins so wondered if keeping her more awake would reduce the feeding time as she is maybe comfort sucking.....
    thanks!

Default Re: length of time feeding

all babies are different, and sometimes it takes 20-30 minutes per side to empty your breasts. She may be comfort sucking, but if you don't object to that, I don't see the harm. If you find it's taking too much time and you need to end the session, have you thought of helping her find her fingers to suck on, or offer her a paci? There are some great pacifiers out there with the proper shape for breastfed babies - and since your daughter is 8 weeks, I assume that breastfeeding has been well established. My son loves to comfort suck in the afternoons. His night time feedings last 15 minutes, tops, but the afternoon sessions can last 45 minutes.

Unless there is a problem such as weight loss, or not enough wet diapers a day I wouldn't be too concerned about it Maybe she just wants to be close to her mama
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

thanks for the reassurance! we haven't tried a pacifier - i'll have to look out for some BF friendly ones! everything is going fine weight-wise - she is gaining around 6-8oz/week although initially her weight gain was slow which is why i am slightly reticent about reducing the time she spends feeding......i will see how it goes before the next weighing session in 2 weeks....

We used the paci as well. It worked great. I've read that 40 mins would be a good time to start using paci. Obviously, you wouldn't start until LO was through with the serious sucking and had moved on to the shallow, quick sucking for comfort. In my experience, LO wanted fingers more than paci, so you might try that too.