Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frustrated with his distraction..Any advise?

Thumbs down Frustrated with his distraction..Any advise?

I am really frustrated with my 4mo.
    For the past 2-3 weeks it is impossible to keep him concentrated to nurse during the day.. He is always soooo distracted. I am nursing him in quiet, dark room, but still it is not eficient! I need to pump and offer him the bm with the bottle in order to feed him.
    At the same time he has started to teeth, always puts his hand in mouth during feedings and is getting really fussy.
    On my side, I am getting mad.. :-(

Any similar experience and advise?

Default Re: Frustrated with his distraction..Any advise?

Not much advice for ya... maybe put on some lulaby music while nursing? Hang tough! The dark quit room works for us so I'm not sure what else to suggest. I'm sure other will be on shortly to help out.

In the mean time,

Jake: Born 11/15/07
    6lbs 5oz ~ 19inch and 3/4's long

Yeah, that is the age when they start to realize the world around them..and everything is more exciting then eating. Quite and dark is the way to go. Also a nursing necklace might help him to keep his attention in your general area. You might try www.mommynecklaces.com. Good luck!

My little one does this too right now. And he is 4mo. Instead of just having a feeding he will eat for 5 min then pull off and look around for a while then fuss to go back to nursing and on and on like that through a full feeding. It is taking alot longer to feed him now!!

I'm trying to nurse him more frequently (before and after naps when he is still groggy) to make sure he's getting enough, and it seems to help some because he is still sleepy he's less distractable.

I like the other poster's idea of a nursing necklace. I happened upon this by accident yesterday when I was wearing a necklace and my l.o. held it while he nursed and it did help him stay turned toward me.
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

I can sympathize with you. My DD was like that at your LOs age and has become a distracted nurser again at 8 mos. I recently discovered that singing Old McDonald keeps her focused. No clue why this song and not others, but it works for the time being and I'm stickin with it! I know that some days my patience runs thin, but I take a deep breath and keep trying...different positions, different locations, small toy to play with, signing, etc. And I try to make the best of her before bed and early morning feedings, which are always good sessions, by letting her nurse as long as she wants, even when it becomes just comfort sucking.

Just keep offering, keep trying, and take comfort in knowing that it is a phase (a phase that's bound to repeat itself in my experience). Next time he hits a growth spurt and is nursing constantly, you long for these days!
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

I got my necklace at the site Naomi linked in! We had ours custom made and DJ still loves it though we have long outgrown it! I love her and her great set up!!!

Way too lazy for formula

I just ordered one of those neclaces... hope it helps!

No new advice that wasn't already posted, but you're not alone! DD does this all the time.

Here's my favorite link for distractible nursing. Right there with you (although it's improving now at 5.5 months--there is HOPE!!!).
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...ible-baby.html

My LO seemed to make up for it at nap time (some days) and at bed time (most days). We cosleep, so he eats well in the night sometimes, too. Other nights he sleeps pretty well. At least I think he does. I never wake up all the way. LOVE cosleeping!
    Stephanie, mom to Jaime Hoban 11/04/07 and Annika Jayne 12/21/09

We . . . no room in the bed for more!

We love our cloth diapers!

My almost 7 m. old son has done this since he was at least 4 m., probably before then and I have only found one thing that works--I will rock him or put him in the stroller until he starts to fall asleep and then scoop him up to nurse. This gets him 3 good (20-30 min.) nursing sessions during the day, and he does one or two at night which are no problem b/c he's so sleepy. I cannot get him to nurse any more than that. He LOVES solids and I think if I didn't insist he'd be pretty happy with just that. Is 4 times a day okay for this age? He's 20 lbs. so I'm not concerned with weight gain. . . My daughter was still nursing every 3 hrs. at this age so it seems unusual for me.