Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: not sure LO is feeding often enough

Default not sure LO is feeding often enough

I am wondering if I should be worried about my DD. She is 10 weeks old, and has never wanted to nurse very frequently. Used to be about every 3 hours, with a very long stretch over night. Lately, she has started going every 4-5 hours during the day, and about 6-7 hours at night. If I try to feed her more often, she gets upset/screams. I know that breastmilk is digested quickly and its really worrying me that she goes so long between feeds, but there's nothing I can do to make her eat. My supply is fine - actually have an oversupply I have not been able to rectify, and I've been very engorged lately, as I only feed one side per feed and with these infrequent feeds one side goes a long time without stimulation. We usually wind up with about 5 feeds per 24 hours, which again seems low to me. I am just wondering if this could be in the range of normal.

We've had challenges all along b/c of my oversupply - choking, sputtering, lack of comfort nursing. I know she doesn't always enjoy nursing which of course makes me sad.

Oh, we're getting about 5-6 wet diapers a day, poopy every 1-2 days.

Thanks for any help...you ladies are so knowledgable, thought I'd throw out a question.

Default Re: not sure LO is feeding often enough

my little one is 8 weeks old and goes about that long during the night so sounds fine, he does feed mopre often during the day but every baby is different. Have you had your little one weighed regularly- if they are gaining weight as they should and the nappies are fine then sounds ok. Might be worth investing in a breast pump as well and that way you can pump your milk if you are getting sore in between feeds and means you will have a nice supply stored up for if you need it. Would also be worth speaking to your health visitor, I've spoken to mine quite a bit and it helps to put my mind at rest.

That does sound really low to me too... the night feedings are fine but every 4-5 hours during the day? thats a long time. My 11 month old doesn't ever go more than 3 hours and she eats solids too..... but every baby is different. I guess if she is gaining weight at a good amount then you are all set... So if you offer the breast after 2-3 hours she gets upset??? I had oversupply too for a long time and sometimes my lo would get really frustrated at the fast flow of milk so I would pump till letdown and then latch her on after the super fast milk is pumped out... maybe something like that would help???

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

Sfchick,
    My LO is ten weeks. He has been getting BM via bottle since 3 weeks. In the past week and a half his intake had dropped drastically (from week before), because I can see how much he eats. On top of this, we have started nursing I know he doesn't take much at the breast, because I pump afterwards. I have at times offered the bottle after a feed and he still does not want it.
    He eats more frequently during the day than your LO, but sleeps completely through the night 10-6:30. I also have way oversupply.
    I have actually woke him up to eat (nurse) yesterday and have tried to get him to eat more from the bottle. He just does not want it.

I guess I have to trust my LO that he does not need more right now. I have seen him eat double in a day what he usually does though. I think it might just be a little phase. I have even checked my LO for fever! He is perfectly content, energetic when awake (although sleeping a little more this week), happy and seemingly healthy. Diapers are normal.

I guess you could try to wake her and see if she will eat, but I suspect she will do what my LO has done, just isn't that hungry. You could always ask Pedi though. If your situation changes, let me know, maybe mine will too.

5-6 wet diapers a day is a good indication. Some babies are more effecient than others. My LO nursed ever hour for and hour for 6 weeks, then it slowed to every 2-3 hrs and by 3 mo he could go probably 4 hours. But each baby is different. Is the baby thriving? Do you feel like you are emptying the breast and getting baby hindmilk? If you feel that the answers are yes, then I would not worry. You seem to be doing really well!
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

Thanks everyone!

I do pump because I am working...try not to do it at other times because it just contributes to the oversupply problem. Yesterday she refused all bottles at daycare - 6 hours straight. She used to take a bottle fine

As far as weight gain, I think it is on the slow side, but my pediatrician is not worried. Birthweight was 9 lb 4 oz, lowest weight was 8 lb 7 oz which was worrisome, but she regained her birthweight by two weeks and was gaining well for a while, then slowed to 3-4 oz a week. A week and a half ago she was 12 lb 1 oz, but I have not weighed her since this new pattern has started, so I'm not sure how it is effecting her weight gain.

She also has had a cold for going on 5 weeks now (another big concern, she just can't kick it) and has continued to be congested - often its hard for her to breathe while she feeds.

Temperment wise, she was definitely colicky but it has improved. She's still very fussy in the evenings, especially when I try to feed her. During the day she's generally happy.

And yes, to answer your questions, if I offer the breast too soon, she will suck until let down and then get very upset when milk comes out. Or she'll just scream and not take it. And she's always sucking her fists and rooting, so it just confuses me when I offer and she doesn't want it. Sometimes she will take it, but its never a good feed - she pops on and off and just seems generally discontented. The only way we get good feeds (with rhythmic sucking and swallowing) these days is if its been at least 4 hours since the last feed.

I know everyone tells me feed on demand, trust my baby, etc. but I have to wonder as I sit her at 8:30 and she's been refusing all morning...has not fed since 4:10 in the middle of the night. Do babies really always know what they need? Is it possible she has something else going on? I'm getting tired of people telling me not to worry because this just doesn't seem right.

Thanks for again for all the help.

Maybe you should take her to see her doctor? There might be something else going on without any symptoms we can see. Maybe an earache? If you are that concerned it couldn't hurt to take her to the doc, maybe it would ease your mind a little of nothing else.

Again, my LO I told you has been eating less, and amazingly we think he is ALREADY showing the signs of teething. When he was given the bottle he would fight it, then cry when it was taken away, fight again, a weird cycle.
    I thought he would just chew the bottle because he didn't want to eat. They say sometimes when this starts sucking causes pain? He goes through days where it is like this, and then it will get better. Those days he is much fussier than usual, hard to console. They say this can start 2-3 months before a tooth actually shows. Then he started to really clamp down on my finger, and had been choking on drool.

I hope you get an answer soon though to give you a little peace of mind and hope your lo feels better soon.

Oops - forgot to answer a couple of your questions!

As long as its been a while and she's feeding well, I think she empties the breast pretty well. I usually start out engorged and it gets pretty empty, although I can always get more after she's done - could probably pump a good couple ounces out afterwards. But with my big supply I would think thats to be expected??

Also, if I'm really engorged I pull her off when I start to let down because its too much for her to handle. She seems to do OK with the let-down if I'm not overly full. Also, we're exclusively nursing in the side lying position which makes it almost impossible to NIP. Its the only position we've found that works, slows the flow down, etc.

Just FYI, your LO didn't even lose 10% of her birthweight, so I wouldn't call it worrisome. She started at 9#4oz and dropped to 8#7oz. 10% would have been 8#5oz. Good job feeding her.

It sounds like she could be frustrated by oversupply or overactive let-down now, though. So she may be unhappy with feeding due to this. It will get better. Work with positions that help, try letting your milk let-down into a towel so she doesn't have to handle the big let-down, then let her latch back on once it's slowed down. You might also try block feeding to make sure she gets plenty of hindmilk. Here's a link for you:http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

The tips she offers really do help, but it does take time. Keep at it, and she may be won back over. You may want to get her weight checked again to make sure she is gaining well now, but don't be lured into formula supplements if the doc isn't happy with her weight. Let us know if she's not gaining enough--lots of smart ladies around here to help with that if it's a problem (I'm no expert on that one).
    Stephanie, mom to Jaime Hoban 11/04/07 and Annika Jayne 12/21/09

We . . . no room in the bed for more!

We love our cloth diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by sfchick View Post
    Thanks everyone!

She also has had a cold for going on 5 weeks now (another big concern, she just can't kick it) and has continued to be congested - often its hard for her to breathe while she feeds.

Maybe allergies? I agree that I would take her to the ped. That may be the reason she is not eating much.