Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk Production dying out??

Unhappy Milk Production dying out??

I've been bfing my son for 2mths now and I noticed these last few days he's aggitated and doesn't sleep for long periods. Like maybe an hour or two at a time and is up for three or four hrs. His nights are spent nursing, pretty much the whole time. Or what feels like the whole time. I'm am on the pill, not the mini-pill but one up. it has a little bit of estrogen in it. I've been on that for about a month now. My doc said I shouldn't have a problem with reduced milk supply since my milk is well established.

Since my son has been so aggitated and acting hungry even though he nursed I decided that I would pump in order to build up my milk supply a little more. I noticed a change in my milk. Before, like just last month it was very white and milky. Now it looks like water all the way through. could this be the start of a dwindling milk supply?? I have stopped drinking milk and most dairy since the thrush, as well as eliminating lots of sugar, but I've noticed, I've also eliminated how much I eat in general, food isn't interesting anymore. I want to eat, but with having to eliminate so much for the thrush eating is not enjoyable, and I'd rather not. Could the decrease of dairy (pretty much elimination) affect this as well. and with it being so watery does this mean my son is not getting the satisfaction he needs from my breast milk?? Could this be why he's so cranky??

If this is the case, what can I do to get it back to where it was?? and can I do all this while still on the pill??

thanks ladies.

Default Re: Milk Production dying out??

Hi. You do not need to drink milk to make milk. There are several ladies (myself included) who have had to reduce or cut out dairy to our babies' sensitive tummies. As long as you are taking your prenatal everyday you get plenty of calcium.

As for the milk being thinner-mine looks very watery right now. That is one of the wonderful things about breastmilk. It is always changing to meet your baby's needs. Your body knows that it is HOT outside and that your baby needs more liquid (less fat) to quench his thirst. Isnt that amazing?? So my guess is your milk is exactly how it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Hisgirl
    I've been bfing my son for 2mths now and I noticed these last few days he's aggitated and doesn't sleep for long periods. Like maybe an hour or two at a time and is up for three or four hrs. His nights are spent nursing, pretty much the whole time. Or what feels like the whole time. I'm am on the pill, not the mini-pill but one up. it has a little bit of estrogen in it. I've been on that for about a month now. My doc said I shouldn't have a problem with reduced milk supply since my milk is well established.
    If you are taking estrogen, it can reduce your milk supply. The mini-pill is a better option. Is there any way you can switch?

Actually if you are exclusively breastfeeding, your periods haven't returned, and your son is less than 6 months, your chances of getting pregnant very slim. Check out this link for more info:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/fertility.html

I second the PP. My Dr. didn't even give me the option of BC with any estrogen in it. The mini pill is slightly less effective than other BC pills but if you are consistent with the time you take it and don't miss any doses (on top of EBF) getting preg would be extremely unlikely.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

I completely missed the part about the bcp (mommy brain BAD today)-I agree, my doc would only give me the mini-pill.

thank you ladies. my doc put me on the other one cause I was still bleeding at 8wks. but if this causing problems I have to ask her for alternatives.

We have used condoms for 10 years and never had a whoops baby.
    They are pretty cheap and no chemicals.