Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 6 min feeds?

Default 6 min feeds?

I'm sure I've read this somewhere, but now that I'm in the thick of it I can't remember

Is there a reason my LO has stopped feeding as long? She is almost 4 months and we've always done 1 side for about 10-15 mins. Now suddenly, she only wants to eat for 5-7 mins during the day and only a little longer in evening. Is she really emptying the breast? I'm pretty sure she's not getting enough hindmilk since her poo is now green, so I've kept at the same boob for 2 feedings today. HTH the poo issue.

I know we're prime time for a growth spurt as well, so I'm worried she's gonna get hungry with only one side? Is there a particular month that's best to start with both sides - if ever? And how the heck am I supposed to know if she's hungry if she sucks her thumb ALL DAY long?!

Sorry for all the ranting, but it's very frustrating. HELP!

Default Re: 6 min feeds?

They can get more efficient around that age. Or it could be that shes distracted in the world around her and will most likely make up for this by nursing more frequently. You could try nursing her in a dark, quiet room with no distractions.

They constantly are switching things up on us, its in the Baby Handbook they read while we're sleeping
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Same here feedings are getting shorter and shorter green poos also, i have been doing breast compressions and massaging right away so she doesnt have to suck longer for a little hindmilk, I also nurse her more often every time shell let me i try to feed her. She screams if she isnt hungry I would say try to nurse her every time she tries to suck on her thumb offer the breast as i always say when in doubt whip it out

sucessfully breastfeeding my little princess for 10 months we are absolutely in love I know Im giving her the best and I know she'll grow healthy and strong!!
    Happily Nursing my Toddler

New to and loving that too!!!

My little Sarai loves her cloth
    And I love to them.....yes yet another cloth convert

DD started becoming way more efficient around that same time. I started feeling my let-downs a lot stronger and it seems my flow is faster too. I remember it really bothered me too at first. Sometimes she pops on and off and I let her a few times and then say, "okay, looks like you're done." DD only eats for about five minutes now, she does tend to eat frequently, but it doesn't really bother me. As long as she seems content, you don't notice a decrease in wets and poopies, then I would say, don't worry The upside is that I don't have to put aside a half hour to feed her, but the downside for me is that she doesn't tend to comfort feed anymore (I kind of miss that)

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Quote Originally Posted by JeannieBean View Post
    the downside for me is that she doesn't tend to comfort feed anymore (I kind of miss that)
    Right after I wrote this, DD closed her eyes and started drifting to sleep

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Mine started getting way more efficient around that age.
    ~~~~ ~~~~
    Iryssa(24), DH(27)

DS born Sept. 21 '07, 8.5lbs
    Nursed for the last time Oct. 20 '08

DD born Jan. 20, '09, 8lbs 14oz

http://healthymomnbaby.blogspot.com/
    http://www.xanga.com/iryssa

It's hard to know if they are hungry or not during teething times. She will eat tons more often during her spirts - It can't be tiering and fustrating so hang in there!!!

Things to look for:

The head going from side to side.

Tap the side of her mouth with your finger, if she turns her head that way, I hear that is a good indication.

Smacking her lips together

Vigersouly sucking on a toy - looks like she's trying to get milk out and gets fustrated when nothing comes.

Jake: Born 11/15/07
    6lbs 5oz ~ 19inch and 3/4's long