Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not latching on anymore!!

Default Not latching on anymore!!

I had my son last Wednesday and everything was going great w/ breastfeeding him. His latch was pretty good and my nipple soreness had finally stopped. Well all of the sudden he doesn't want to latch on. He will for about two seconds and then pulls off and does this over and over again. I'm at my wits end and I don't know what to do anymore. He tried nursing on both breasts for two hours this morning and never latched on well. I finally had to pump and give him breastmilk in a bottle (which we have never done so its not nipple confusion). Any ideas?

Default Re: Not latching on anymore!!

Hi Eva. Is it possible that you are having a forceful letdown and that is why he is pulling off? Check out this link http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/....html#forceful

You can also call you local LLL leader for help until some others respond to you here http://www.llli.org/webindex.html
    Loving mama to S - 11/06, and F - 1/09

awe they all have days when they act weird about nursing?
    did anything change?
    did you change soap or purfume?

Is baby crying alot?

Well I spoke w/ the LC at the hospital where I delivered and we think that I have a really forceful letdown and I'm producing a lot of milk. When I pumped earlier I pumped each breast for 5 min each and got 2 oz from each of them. She said I should try and pump for a min or two before I go to feed him to see if that helps w/ the latching on.

Glad you are able to work with an LC to get this figured out!
    Here's a (non LLL) link with more info about Forceful Let-Down if you are interested in learning more. She's also got some different coping techniques that you can try!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!