Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing strike at 11 months

Default Nursing strike at 11 months

My son is on his first nursing strike and I never realized how taxing it is! I think it is either because he is getting some new teeth or the fact that he learned how to walk this week. I have read a little on Kellymom and some LLL articles, but would welcome any advice and or support.

My main source of frustration is that I have always nursed him to sleep. The last few weeks when he has awoken at night he has prefered to just go back to sleep on his own rather than nurse, then last night at bed time he refused the breast and started crying every time I tried to have him nurse. Eventually DH rocked him to sleep and that is what I have done all day as well for naps.

He will nurse in his sleep, which I take as a good sign. How long do strikes normally last? How often should I pump? I am definetly NOT ready to give up nursing and am despreate to coax him back to the boob! Up to this point he has been a little pro, and I am so sad we are hitting this road block now.

Emily, mommy to
    Jeremija Charles - 5/30/07 - nursed 26 mo, and
    Aleksandar Hayes - 12/13/09 - nursing strong!

"Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you are going to do now and do it." - William Durant

If you really want to do something, you'll find a way, if you don't, you'll find an excuse.

Default Re: Nursing strike at 11 months

Strikes usually last a few days, but as some moms can tell you, sometimes longer. You definitely need to pump often enough that you are comfortable and don't get plugged ducts. Beyond that, it's up to you. If you just pump for comfort, your supply will probably drop some, but after a day or two of your lo being back at the breast, it will come back up. (You will probably notice the need to increase your water intake during this time.) Or, you could pump as often as he usually nurses to keep up supply.

During one strike with DS, we could even read/rock him to sleep (DH's usual way of putting him to bed.) Instead, I found myself out on the highway driving late at night. I feel your pain. Strikes are rough on mommas!
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

I can't offer you a whole lot of advice, but I can offer you support.

I went through a strike with DS#1 when he was 7 mos. old. It was one of the hardest times I've been through as a mom. I, like you, was not ready to stop nursing and tried everything to get him back - skin-to-skin time, baths, sleep-nursing, co-sleeping, no bottles (we went to sippy cups), etc. I cried for weeks, so I understand what you're going through. It's an incredible emotional time for a mom when baby stops nursing before mom is ready. Is your SO supportive? My husband was very patient and supportive during this time, which was helpful.

It is encouraging though the your LO is nursing during sleep -that's a good sign that he will return to nursing while awake. Keep up the great work and trying to coax him back - it's hard but will be worth it when he returns! I wish you all the best. You're a great mom for b'feeding for this long! s

My Lo went through a nursing strike at about that age, too. For us it worked for me to be bare chested with him the whole weekend. He just couldn't keep his eyes off them and he kept on wanting to go in and then backing away. (By the way, my husband loved this weekend, too! ) Finally, while we were rolling on the bed playing, he just couldn't stop himself and he dove in and nursed til he fell asleep. When he woke up, I immediately nurse him and he's been fine ever since. There's alot of things that have worked for other moms, such as in the bath tub, different positions, and time.
    Mom of 1, AJ born 4/12/07

Quote Originally Posted by Xerxella View Post
    For us it worked for me to be bare chested with him the whole weekend.
    This has been my strategy too. Last night was rough and even after rocking, singing, a warm bath, he wouldnt sleep, and cried whenever he thought I was asking him to nurse. We eventually drove around until he dozed off and then when he halfway woke I quickly put him to the boob and he sleep nursed all night. This morning he still didn't want anything to do with the boob, but didn't fall asleep in the car either. When I got home I prepared for the crying hysterics for rocking to sleep but wonderfully as soon as I sat down he went to town and fell asleep!! It seems the key is to have him very sleepy so he forgets why he doesn't want it.

So far for the rest of the day he isn't mad when he gets close to them like he was yesterday, but he isn't helping himself like he normally does. I just wish I could figure out what caused it so I can avoid it next time. No new hygene products, no new foods, no new people, I have no idea

My DH is wonderfully supportive and luckily has today off so he has been helping. I am sending out hoping that maybe we are at the end of this little strike. Thanks for all the support!!

Emily, mommy to
    Jeremija Charles - 5/30/07 - nursed 26 mo, and
    Aleksandar Hayes - 12/13/09 - nursing strong!

"Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you are going to do now and do it." - William Durant

If you really want to do something, you'll find a way, if you don't, you'll find an excuse.

For us, teeth were usually the culprit. Once it was the doorbell ringing when he was almost asleep nursing.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

My DS stopped wanting to nurse to sleep at night at about 9 months? Idk maybe earlier. He does nurse after bath but I usually get him to sleep by rubbing his back or just cuddling with him.

Maybe he's just giving you a signal he needs a different nighttime routine? I would try and change things up and follow his lead. He will return to the breast!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09