Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Popping

Default Popping

So, my son seems to have a bad habit. At least I don't enjoy it. When I nurse him down for sleep, especially at night, he starts eating, then popping off, then rooting, latching, eating, popping off--over and over. His "eating" only lasts for 4-5 sucks. I can't figure out how to curb this little habit of his. It seems to be a comfort thing. Not very comfortable for mommy. If he does it for more than a few "cycles" I get pretty sore. And I have trouble trying to stop it, because it's usually RIGHT before he gives in to sleep. Last night I just got up and walked out of the room (I told him, "Oh, you must be done."). But then he started fussing, of course, and the whole thing started over.

I'm not interested in stopping the nursing to sleep necessarily, although once he puts himself to sleep I'll be fine with it (mostly). He doesn't take a paci. We don't cry it out in our house. I tried to break the suction with my finger when he popped off last night, and I keep missing his mouth! He turns his head, taking my nipple with him, then when I'm stretched to the max, he pops off. No wonder I'm sore today.

Any ideas? thoughts?

Thanks in advance, ladies.
    Stephanie, mom to Jaime Hoban 11/04/07 and Annika Jayne 12/21/09

We . . . no room in the bed for more!

We love our cloth diapers!

Default Re: Popping

Sorry wish I had great advice for you but my lo still does this. I think it is his way of fighting sleep, as that is the only time that he does it. The soreness will go away, at least my nipples got used to it.

Default Re: Popping

It seems to me that babies just have their own nursing "style" and little things that they do at certain times. At least my two sons have been very different nursers. My 4 mo old does the popping off thing too. How old is your l.o.?

Maybe instead of looking at this as a negative you can learn to cherish it as one of your baby's little nursing quriks. It makes him unique!
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens