Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Finger Foods

Default Finger Foods

One more question:

I give my 8 month old son those little star finger foods that dissolve in your mouth. He's learning the pincher grasp and he's picking them up and putting them in his mouth perfectly. Sometimes he'll gag on one, and it freaks me out. DH and I have talked about it and we're wondering if we need to stop giving him these finger foods. He'll have 8 or so on his high chair, and he might gag to one, but that's it. What do you guys think?

Mommy to Clayton Christopher born 8-18-07. And our new addition, Porter Lee born 12-10-08!
    Wife to Jeremy since 4-23-05

Dove Chocolate Discoveries
    Independent Chocolatier # 6740
    MoreChocolatesPlease@gmail.com

Default Re: Finger Foods

My son does the same thing. I think gagging is a normal reflex and just a part of growing up. As they learn to chew and gum on foods, sometimes they will choke a little bit. I think my LO does it because he gets so excited trying to eat too fast.

I agree with pp. It is just there way of learning to eat.

Shew! That's kind of what I thought, but sometimes I just feel all nervous about it - like I'm doing something wrong. Thanks!

Mommy to Clayton Christopher born 8-18-07. And our new addition, Porter Lee born 12-10-08!
    Wife to Jeremy since 4-23-05

Dove Chocolate Discoveries
    Independent Chocolatier # 6740
    MoreChocolatesPlease@gmail.com

It's normal and passes pretty quickly. Just keep an eye on him when he's doing finger foods. Also, have you taken a CPR class? That gives you an incredible amount of relief just in case a piece of food really does get stuck.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

and although they are both scary, there is a difference between gagging and actually choking, I assume he's just gagging right?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

my lo does this too, she is trying to get it to come to the front of her mouth to gnaw on it more if it went too far back, but still in the safe part!(KWIM) I was freaked out in the beginning too! But I agree I have realized the diff between choking and gagging and still gets me a lil nervous but not as much! (now if only i can get my DH, mom, and dad to understand too!!!-nervous nellies )
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!