Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not Eating BM

Default Not Eating BM

So, my 8 month old son was introduced to solids at 6 months old. He eats at 7am, 11am, 3pm, and 7pm. I give him BM at 7am, solids and BM at 11, solid and BM at 3, and then only BM at 7pm. Well, he's gotten to where he doesn't hardly eat any BM during the solids meals. Today he didn't eat any BM at the 11am meal, so at 3 I gave him BM first and then solids. He only at 3 oz of BM and then all of his solids. I'm not sure if this is okay or not. Do they start to wean themselves? He's only 8 months old and I thought that he needs BM until at least a year. So I'm not really sure what to do. I can't force him to eat, and he's already in the 10% of his weight in his age group. He's doesn't act hungry at all. Suggestions?

Oh I guess I should mention that he's teething too, which might be some of his reasoning for not eating much. Not sure if that's it or not.

Thanks in advance!

Mommy to Clayton Christopher born 8-18-07. And our new addition, Porter Lee born 12-10-08!
    Wife to Jeremy since 4-23-05

Dove Chocolate Discoveries
    Independent Chocolatier # 6740
    MoreChocolatesPlease@gmail.com

Default Re: Not Eating BM

Well, I don't have an answer for you, but I'm looking for the same type of advice from someone My 7-mo old eats approx. @ 7am, 11am, 2pm, 6pm, and still (to my dismay) a couple times overnight (which started back up when he got ear infections last month). He was doing BM only... 2-3 bottles at daycare during the day. However, we started introducing solids for lunch (usually yogurt and a veggie), and it seems to be replacing his afternoon BM! He doesn't get hungry in the afternoon after he has had solids for lunch.

Will solids ever replace the number of times he breastfeeds?? Is it possible he will drink more oz at one feeding, but have less # of times he drinks?

Ya know, everything I read by pediatricians says that babies should breastfeed for a year, but everyone that I know who has had kids says that they start weaning themselves around 8 months. My nephew weaned himself completely at 9 months - my sister said that one day he just refused the boob and never took it again! And my mother in law told me that my husband did the same thing when he was ten months old. So, who knows? I've talked to my pediatrician and my husband, and we've decided that now that we've started our son on solids for real, I'll pump once or twice a day when I can so that we can continue to give him breast milk in a bottle should he decide he's done with the nursing bit.

Although, I have to admit, as exhausting as some days are trying to breastfeed a 16 1/2 lb baby, I'm kinda sad that that stage is ending!

-Jen
    Jen

Mom to Colden Tonessen born on January 15, 2008 - 11 lb 2 oz and growing ever since!

The primary nutrition for a baby under 12 months should be BM and they need to get at least 24 oz of BM every 24 hours. If your baby is not getting at least 24oz of BM a day, I would cut the solids so that he will drink his milk. BM is far better for them at that age, solids are just for experimentation.

Another solution may be to separate the bm and solids up... I always gave my dd1 her bm first, waited an hour then solids. That way she was hungry for bm and had a chance to get hungry again for food! Good luck!
    Chris
    Happily Married since July 10, 2004
    Mom to Katie- June 14, 2006 and Allie- January 21, 2008

I would definitely cut back on solids. Remember, solids at this point are really just for fun and experimenting - solids should not replace BM. From what I've read, a baby at this age should really only have two solid meals a day. Also, from what I understand, babies don't really wean themselves under 18 months. What the pps have described, sound like nursing strikes more than weaning. DD is 7-months-old and nurses sometimes up to 12 times a day (I know this is a lot, and she is also a huge comfort nurser). We do solids at the most twice a day, and I think sometimes more ends up on her than in her . Sometimes, we don't do any solids. It just depends on her mood, and if I think she'll be receptive to it. I think if you follow the rule to nurse, offer solids, and then nurse, you'll be sure BM is your LO's main source of food. This is a good link from kellymom regarding solids http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...olids-how.html.
    Jen, momma to Charlotte Rae born 9/25/07

Still breastfeeding !

and !