Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Gassy and crabby, but gaining weight like a sumo

Default Gassy and crabby, but gaining weight like a sumo

1) max is 3 weeks old, he was born at 6 lbs. 8 ounces. now he's 7 lbs. 15 ounces. he's obviously eating enough.

2) i can hear him fart when i'm in the next room. seriously, he farts like a fat trucker. he makes 8-10 poop diapers per day.

3) my wife's diet is pretty bland. she typically eats vegetarian, but will eat chicken or fish every other day. she also typically drinks soy milk instead of cow milk, but she hasn't been eating as many beans/lentils/tofu as often as she has because of a fear of gas via breast milk.

4) i do most of the cooking. i've cut waaaay back on black pepper, salt, and all hot seasonings. nearly everything i cook, since the birth, is savory/herby meat, vegetables, and rice/potatoes.

5) anne is pumping and feeding from the breast (50/50). air from the bottle may account for some of the gas, but our similac-eating friend's baby doesn't have nearly as much gas and poop diapers as our kid.

max has really gotten fussy over the last 4-5 days. it's becoming frustrating for my wife and i. i go back to work on monday and i need a solution. leaving anne with a boy who won't stop fussing is not something i want to do.

is it a gas thing? is it a normal baby thing? could it be related to anne's diet? do i need to call the pediatrician?

any tips or comments would be appreciated.

Default Re: Gassy and crabby, but gaining weight like a sumo

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/5/T051200.asp

check out some of theese fussy baby link and see what you think.
    3 weeks is also prime time for a growth spurt where they want to nurse alot!

best thing you can do, take care of things so your wife can learn how to nurse the baby.
    Let her sleep when the baby sleeps.
    Take over chores!

how often is baby nursing?
    Some newborns need to nurse up to 12 times in 24 hours and thats normal for them.

baby's nursing every 2-3 hours for as long as he wants. i've been doing all the chores and cooking since he's been born. with me off work, the fussing over the last 3-5 days has been manageable. i'm concerned for when i go back to work on monday.

thanks for the link.

any other suggestions?

It takes a while for the baby's digestive system to mature, so sometimes cramping/gas pains/fussiness are perfectly normal - especially early on. This may just be something that will work itself out. (a lot of babies have a "fussy period" each day) Try doing "leg pumps" and switching positions to help the baby work the gas out. You could also offer "gripe water" or something of the sort.

Your wife probably doesn't need to stay away from gassy foods, as gassy foods cause us (the adults) trouble as it passes through out intestines - this "gas" isn't passed on through breastmilk.

Citrus fruits are a common irritant so that could be a possibility. If it is citrus, the gassiness shouldn't last longer than 24 hours.

In my case, a strong letdown/oversupply was the reason for gassiness/fussiness. Here and here you can some infomation about that and some ways to correct it.

And about the farting . . . breastfed babies can be heard through a concrete wall, lol - so that's normal and 8-10 poo's are also normal for a baby this young.

I'm sorry I couldn't be more help
    Last edited by sch.mommy; April 24th, 2008 at 06:04 PM.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Your really concerned about your baby and worried about your wife being alone with him when you go back to work. Taking all the chores and cooking are really what a mom needs, great job!

Can you tell me a little bit more about the fussiness? Does he seem to be fussy all day or at certain times?
    While at the breast or all the time?
    I could certainly be a growth spurt, this usually lasts for a week or less and is just part of being a baby
    Here are a couple more links,

http://llli.org/NB/NBfussy.html

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...e-nursing.html

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussy-evening.html
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

re: the fussiness- he woke up at regular feeding times last night and went back relatively easy.

this morning, he woke up and was immediately fussy. i played with him and gave him lots of attention. this either distracted him away from the gassiness, or helped him feel contented, and he quit fussing.

at 10:00am, anne fed him for 40 minutes. he fed until he wanted to stop and was then happy for almost an hour. now he's been fussing for the last 20 minutes. anne put him back on the breast and he's just messing around at the breast and not eating, but he's not fussing. it's like he's sipping a mojito on the porch and not pigging out at thanksgiving.

it's confusing. when anne puts him on the breast he seems to be using her for a pacifier.

Quote Originally Posted by samhobbs View Post
    at 10:00am, anne fed him for 40 minutes. he fed until he wanted to stop and was then happy for almost an hour. now he's been fussing for the last 20 minutes. anne put him back on the breast and he's just messing around at the breast and not eating, but he's not fussing. it's like he's sipping a mojito on the porch and not pigging out at thanksgiving.

it's confusing. when anne puts him on the breast he seems to be using her for a pacifier.
    It sounds like Max loves to be at the breast! That's good and quite normal!

It helps to look at it from his prospective. It's warm, it's mama, it's got yummy milk at his request. It's love, it's comfort, it's just good stuff. Who doesn't like to sip a mojito on the porch?

The breast is the original pacifier! He's still really little, and learning about his new world. So taking lots of breaks at the breast (even if he's not hungry!) helps him. Many mother's figure out the "magic powers of the boob" and know that it helps an upset baby settle down, calms a tantrum in .002 seconds, heals a hurt knee or ego, all sorts of stuff.

Some times parents are afraid that they will spoil their baby, or teach him bad habits. What you are teaching him though is that you can be trusted to help him, and by forming a close attachment now you foster independence when he's older.

Here's a couple links about it too!

Frequent nursing

OUR THREE-WEEK-OLD BABY SUDDENLY WANTS TO NURSE ALL THE TIME. DOES THAT MEAN I DON'T HAVE ENOUGH MILK?

It really sounds like he's doing ok, if you are really concerned or if it seem to get worse and worse then colic or something else may be to blame. HTH!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!