Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding problems, need advice!

Red face Breastfeeding problems, need advice!

My son is 2 weeks old today and I had been breastfeeding but now I am unable to. My right breast is not producing enough milk and my left one is sowllen in many spots. Last night before I went to bed I started having cold chills and about 2 o'clock I woke up with a fever and have been having it one off and on all day long. However when I pump my fever seems to go down. Also I am not able t feed becase it is to painful. What should I do? I really want to breast feed my son but don't seem to be able too and now he's been on the bottle for a few days I'm afraid he may not take to the breast agian. Please Help!!!

Default Re: Breastfeeding problems, need advice!

It sounds like you may have mastitis. You'll probably want to talk to a lactation consultant or the LLL leader in your area or even your doctor. My LC told me when I had mastitis to go to bed, drink lots of water, and nurse as much as possible to keep your breasts empty. I know the nursing is hurting you right now, but it really will help. I hope you get to feeling better.

Best advice I got was to use hot packs (heating pad) on the breast that is infected before nursing or pumping, this allows the ducks to expand and help in empting the breast. Take tylenol or ibuprofen for the pain and temp. Nurse baby as often as possible (start with the side that is infected first and then switch to the next side to finish off) afterwards I had to pump about an ounce or two for comfort. Make sure your latch is correct. It shouldn't be painful the entire time you nurse. I would scedule an appt to be seen by a lactation consultant as soon as possible. Your local hospitals should have them. If your non-infected side isn't producing much then I would pump that side for 10-15 minutes after baby has nursed on it to signal to your body that it needs to make more milk. It may take a few days to notice an improvement. But you must be consistant and do this after every feed (even in the middle of the night). Drink plenty of water and rest when baby does if you can!

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon, having mastitis is no fun! I have been there done that quite a few times.

Smile Re: Breastfeeding problems, need advice!

Thanks ladies, I never knew there was a site for help and I wish I would have know when my daughter was born. I'll give your suggestions a try and let you know in a few days. Hope this wont last long. I have a had a fever off and on since last night and just fill drained. Hope this works.

Sounds like Masitis... call your OB because you may need antibotics. Get lots of rest, plenty of fluids, hot compress or baths, advil or tylenol for pain and fever, and nurse! I know that is the last thing you want to do but it is the best thing to get over it. Place the babies chin towards the lump if possible. If not just change up position some. Sorry and hope you feel better soon
    wife , mom, maid , cook , taxi. All in a days work

Exclamation Re: Breastfeeding problems, need advice!

I got most of the swelling down and the fever gone but I was wondering why after I pump or feed the swelling comes right back. I also noticed some redness on my breast where the swelling is. Does this mean that it is infected?

The only thing that I can come up with is that maybe the duct is clogged and that is why it becomes hard after feeding. If it is clogged and milk tries to flow down it will get trapped causing the area to become hard and swollen. Try massaging the breast before the feeding to help the milk flow and then while feeding. You can also massage the area after the feeding too. Try that and see if it helps.

If the breast have redness then more then likely it is infected, but don't worry about it disturbing the milk your baby gets. The breast becomes infected, not the milk. You can try to beat the infection yourself (using the tips given earlier) it can take a day or two before you notice the redness to disappear. Some can get it to go within a few feedings and others it may take 24-48 hours. Or you can call your OBGYN or lactation consultant and they can prescribe an antibiotic that is safe for nursing mothers, The choice is up to you and how miserable you feel with the infection. Once when I got Mastitis I was able to beat it myself, but then a few weeks later I got it again and it really wiped me out so I opted for the antibiotics that time.

Best of luck and I hope you feel better soon! Get lots of rest, plenty of water and nurse on demand with baby and or pump. I know how you feel and wish you the best of luck!

It's not getting any better so I called my Doc and he put me on meds for the infection and told me to eep feeding and pumping. Hope it helps and I don't have to give up Breast Feeding him. Thanks for all the advice. You ladies are wonderful!

I was reading some of the other questions that have been posted here and noticed the one about latching on. Is having a sore nipple due to my infection or could this be just another problem that I'm having? It seems that it might be because of the infection but now i'm not so sure. I think he's latching on right because the other side does not hurt at all. Also I was wondering if letting a baby latch on wrong could be what caused the infection?

I got the fenugreek pills to help with the milk production and antibiotic for my infection and now I'm not only getting more milk but I'm also feeling better. Thanks ladies.