Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FTT Update

Default FTT Update

I haven't posted in couple weeks, so I wanted to give an update. The last appt we had the doctor wanted me to give her formula and bm at a 50/50 ratio. I didn't stick with that plan 100%. She got about 75% bm and 25% formula. Today she went in for a weight check and gained 1lb in 17 days. He is happy with her weight gain and will not see her back for a month. He told me I can go back to breastfeeding her 100% if I feel comfortable and just to supplement if she seems to need it.

This is my concern. When I pump I only get about 1 1/2 -2oz every 2 hours. 1 1/2 being the norm. Is this enough to solely bf on? I know she gets more, but I want to make sure I am making a good decision so she can go forward and not take 2 steps back.

My supply is slowly increasing, 2 weeks ago I could only pump 1oz every 2 hours. There is an increase, just not a major one. Any advice is appreciated!

Also, I am only taking domperidone at the moment. 40mg 3x a day.

Jenn

Default Re: FTT Update

Thanks for the update

Sorry for not remembering but are you exculsively pumping?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

watch wet diapars and poops....
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enough-milk.html

I was pumping mostly. I would nurse her during the night and during nap times. The doctor told me not to wake her at night anymore. Some nights she wakes, others she sleeps 5 hours. So I have been waking up to pump as much as I can.

healthy baby is much beter at removing milk then the pump!
    Have you thought about just nursing for a while and retiring the pump?

I've thought about it and scared to do it. When I nurse one side the other side starts leaking like crazy and all I think is OMG WASTED MILK! lol

I could always nurse and pump for 15 min afterwards.

I do have a questions. I know alot of babies will suck and suck. Mine is one of them. If she has a bottle she will still cry after 4oz of bm, but if I just hold her and play for a few minutes she will stop crying and be fine for a couple hours. Is this normal? Should I go by that if she is only nursed? I guess Im worried about overlooking hunger signs.

You could always offer to nurse first.

some of that crying could be needing to burp?
    does she do that well for you?

how often is she nursing in 24 hours would you say?
    I used to lay out 6 diapars in the am
    then if baby had not wet them all by supper time I would try and squeeze an extra feed in when I was relaxing watching tv...

You can do it!

That's great! I would try maybe nursing 100% and then have her reweighed in a week to see what's going on. You'd be looking for 4ozs gain, and at the very least no loss. Only you will know your baby best. When I was efing Ilana, she would cry after feeding, but only shortly and then she would stop and move on to something else. Turns out she was a 'happy to starve' baby and I had to start supplementing at 4 mos old. Since she was so easy to quiet most times, I thought she was telling me she wasn't hungry anymore. If she's still fussing after 4ozs, she probably is fine and just does want to suck. Ilana still has her binky at 18 mos and it drives me up a wall sometimes! I hope things continue to work out!
    Jennifer, child passenger safety technician and mama to,
    AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), and Olivia (2/12/09)

She was nursing about 6 times a day I would say.

She does burp well.

Laying out the diapers is a good idea!!! Thanks = )

She hasn't had a bottle since 5pm yesterday. Since 2am she has had 2 wet diapers. One at 5 and one at 9. So far so good..