Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: gassy baby

Unhappy gassy baby

My ds is 15 days old and he is very gassy. He is loud when he poops or passes gas. His little face scrunches up and turns red and he cries when trying to do either. I have cut out all the things I think could be causing the gas, except dairy. I have heard differing opinions on milk and dairy causing gas in babies. He cries mostly at night, but often during the daytime, too. I hold him, put him in the cradle swing, rub his tummy, push his legs up, but nothing seems to help. My hubby is buying Mylicon now to try as well. Any other suggestions? My heart is just breaking that he hurts and I can't fix it. Thanks!

Default Re: gassy baby

well, i was having the same problem and cut out milk - but left in cheese, yogurt, etc, and milk in cooking - and the gas problem stopped within 36 hours...it might be worth a try for you if nothing else is working?

i've read that rubbing their tummies in a clockwise motion can help work out the gas and it's worked pretty well for me. mylicon works well, too.

I had to eliminate milk from my diet, so you may want to give that a try... like the previous post said, I still eat cheese and yogurt in small amounts, but I even try to limit how muc hof that I eat too. Just have to make sure you get calcium from other sources when eliminating dairy from your diet.
    Mylicon worked for us too... We also tried Gripe Water but that didn't seem to have any effect. But it seems like each baby is different and what may work for one, won't work for the other!

Thumbs up Re: gassy baby

Thanks! I have tried the Mylicon and it seems to be helping, also no milk for 2 days now. He still has the gas, but just doesn't seem to cry as much with it now. I miss the milk....I LOVE milk! But, whatever it takes to make my ds happy! Thanks again!

Burping helps, too. Sometimes I burp in the middle of a feeding if I feel baby has taken in a lot of air. (This helps keep them awake, too, for a nice long feeding that "reaches" the hindmilk.)

What doesn't come out one end must surely come out the other!

My baby when newborn was also very gassy. I can remember him crying and it broke my heart. I used Mylicon and it helped. Even though dr's don't recommend using teas. I gave him just a little bit of Chamomile tea diluted. This seemed to help more with the gas and he was able to pass it easier.

Have you addressed latch/positioning issues? My Son was/is very gassy and I have overactive letdown (which contributes to his reflux) that means the milk comes out really fast and makes them swallow lots of air, and therefore makes them gassy. Could this be an issue? If you think so, then try burping him more frequently during a feeding, or get him to latch on...let down, and pull off for a minute to let your boobs spray in a burp cloth or something, and then re-latch him (even better is to pump a lil before he latches, and get the letdown under control, THEN start a feeding, although I know this is not always possible if you are out and about).

Unless his poops are green/mucussy I would highly doubt his gassiness/fussiness is due to something you are eating...

HTH

Emma.