Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Recurring plugged ducts - 3 questions

Default Recurring plugged ducts - 3 questions

I have recurring plugged ducts and I have 3 questions:

1. Some articles say, I should express the milk to empty each breast after every feed, because when the breast is not emptied it may cause clogged ducts. But when I express after each feed, that causes the breast to produce more milk, creating another problem which gives rise to plugged ducts, right??

So, should I express after each feed or not??

2. I have tried to get baby's chin pointing at the plugged area to unclog them. But there's this one area that I can't get him into position for - a "pie-shaped" area that radiates from near my armpit to the nipple for both breasts. Any ideas?

3. When I used to have plugged ducts before, it was a hardened area. Now it's just little round lumps and bumps underneath the skin, like nodules. Are those lumps caused by plugged ducts, or are they just milk-filled nodes???

Thanks for any input!!!
    Caylen Koen Chew (25/05/06)
    Lost No.2 in Aug 2008 ... Lost No. 3 in May 2009 Hoping for another ... Enjoying No.1

Default Re: Recurring plugged ducts - 3 questions

When I had clogged ducts I could not get them unclogged by the pump or hand expressing, only by the baby feeding. What really helped was a warm rice sock. I held the rice sock on the clogged area for a good 20 minutes and then fed the baby. I put her chin facing where duct was and it worked.

I also massaged the area trying to help push the milk through. My problem came about because of a milk blister and a poor latch.

Good luck!!

heres some info
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBMarApr06p68.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...-mastitis.html

I don't think I would pump, the baby is beter at getting out milk then the pump.
    Plus if you are giving any bottles that might cause the babies latch to become different and inefficient.
    Have you tired some diet changes? thats on the 2nd link
    or maybe your bra is too tight and pressing on that one area.

I would think as long as they are not hurting you might just be fealing milk in you r breast.

Hi all, thanks for your replies.
    Andrea-Ohio: The article in the NB was great! Thanks!
    It's such a relief to know that the problem does go away after a while. It's becoming a real bother to have to tend to my breasts always. I thought I was getting paranoid! I have tried cutting back on dairy products altogether, but it didn't help. I don't eat a lot of fatty things, mostly fish, white meat and vegies.

I suspect it could be my side-lying feeding position that is the culprit because I realised that when I lay on my side to feed, the breast is a little squashed against the bed. So now I am trying other feeding positions to see if that helps.
    Last edited by dorothy; July 23rd, 2006 at 02:11 PM.
    Caylen Koen Chew (25/05/06)
    Lost No.2 in Aug 2008 ... Lost No. 3 in May 2009 Hoping for another ... Enjoying No.1

your picture is so sweet!
    your welcome. If you have any more ?'s don't be afraid to ask.
    heres another link I found
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/mastitis.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/repeatmastitis.html

I liked the last part the best
    It might be helpful to ask family members and friends for help with household chores and meals so that you can devote time to taking care of yourself and the baby.

I feel your pain. I get them ALL the time too. In fact, I have another one right now. I think it is because I slept on my stomach a little bit last night . I can't help it sometimes!!

Anyway, today I decided not to worry about it because my little man gets them out eventually anyway so why stress out about it.

But, if you do find something that helps prevent them let me know.

Alli

hang in there! it is a rough road i know. i find that switching positions for nursing all the time helps and near the end of each feed i gently apply pressure to that pie shaped area you mentioned. (my problem area too).

we are at week three with baby number two and already had one bout of mastits so i can really sympathise.

[ j ]