Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this teething?

Default Is this teething?

How do I know if my son is teething? He is only 3.5mo. but he is drooling like crazy and sucks/bites on his fists a lot. Do 3.5 month olds drool a lot normally? I don't know a lot about babies' timelines. I see two small squares on the front of his lower gums (like two white chicklet gum pieces) but nothing surfacing yet to the top of the gum really. He has been irritable for the past two weeks, poops a lot and is nursing differently than he used to. Won't go on the boppy at all- he'll only nurse only laying flat on his back except at night when he's sleeping and doesn't know better.

I read somewhere that a baby can have pain for several months before a first tooth pops out? Is that true? How long does it take for a tooth to come to the surface of gums?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Maybe this doesn't sound like teething to y'all?

Default Re: Is this teething?

I think they can have pain a long time before the teeth surface. My little girl had all the classic signs of teething starting around 4 months, but her teeth just finally popped through at 6.5 months. And now I think her top two are starting to come in too. It seems like her pain is never ending! I have heard however that the drooling and mouthing things is a normal baby thing and unrelated to teething ... that babies who don't get teeth until near one year old even show those same "symptoms." It's so hard watching your baby go through that! I feel for you and your little one! Good Luck!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

It may be teething buy my DS, who is now 9, didn't get teeth until he was 15 months old and we SWORE he was teething by 3 or 4 months (LOL). That's a long wait

I thought the same thing. DD started drooling like a faucet at about 3 months. I thought we were in for some early teething. Still at almost 5.5 months - nothing but a lot of water works. We go thru a LOT of bibs everyday and she has everything in her mouth except teeth. Our dd ran a low fever and was really cranky at about the same time which also lead me to believe she was teething but that turned out to be a stomach flu that ran thru the whole family Then just recently I had her at the pediatrician and she said she saw no signs of teeth in there at all yet.

3-month-old dd drools all the time! She usually has one hand in her mouth and the other holding on to her foot. I felt along her gums and didn't feel anything and she's not fussy, so I figure it's just drool.

My DS is the same way---showing all the signs of teething. He started at about 10 wks. In just the past couple of days he has been chewing on his lower lip (is that a sign of something?). I read that it's typical to have teething symptoms for 3 mos or more b/f they cut the first tooth. I keep watching for swollen red gums but I'm not expecting to see anything for several months yet.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

I was just wondering about this. DD started drooling alot around 3mths and I thought the same thing about teething. She continues to drool and likes to put her hands or fingers in her mouth and "bite". I guess it is just drool though cause no sign of any teeth whatsoever.

Tough question - my mom and mother-in-law and heck, even people behind me at the grocery store seem to like to tell me that dd is teething. Oh, look, she's drooling - must be teething. Oh look, she's tired, must be teething. Oh look, she's (insert baby activity here) - must be teething. It drove me nuts for a while & then I caught myself doing it to my girlfriend the other day!

i can't ever tell when dd is about to cut teeth. Her first two snuck up on me and she is now 10 months old and we've not gotten any new ones lately!
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

I wouldn't worry. My dd goes through the same thing and it sounds like most have been, too. I keep putting my finger in there to feel and trying to look when her tongue isn't in the way. My DD has some good days and bad days. I blame the teething, but it could be anything really. It's hard to see them suffer. Best of luck!

Part of the way a baby learns about its envirment is sticking things in their mouth. When they start teething most of the time everything is going into their mouthand I do mean anything and everything. That's what my dd did and she also started being really cranky all the time. When your baby does start teething go and get bitter sticks and teething tablets(they are the homeopathic version of pain killers). They have helped my dd alot with her teething issues and she has 3 teeth now. Anyways ensoy your baby and you will know when dc starts teething.