Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Using Formula for Cereal

Default Using Formula for Cereal

My DD just turned 8mo. She is BF on demand and eats solids about 2-3 times in between feedings. I dont have any BM in freezer. I have a sample box of Enfamil (Next Step Lipil). On the box it says 9-24 mo. In the instructions it says for babies transitioning from infant formula or BM. My DD has had formula occasionally. Mostly with cereal or whenever I was out or there was no EBM. I have few questions about using this formula

1. I want to use it just for cereal(maybe if I am out sometimes). Otherwise I will BF. Is it Ok to use this formula?
    2. Somewhere I read that once formula is given the benefits of BM may be lost (something about different bacteria...). Is that true?

I dont mind pumping for cereal and stuff but I am in India now and it is really, really hot and dusty. I am a bit worried about keeping things sterile etc.Sometimes there is power cut and I have to be watchful of the milk going bad.
    Last edited by veenasri; April 27th, 2008 at 10:41 PM.

Default Re: Using Formula for Cereal

Quote Originally Posted by veenasri View Post
    2. Somewhere I read that once formula is given the benefits of BM may be lost (something about different bacteria...). Is that true?
    Sorry, I don't have an answer to your other questions, but this one doesn't sound right. I've never heard this before and in a way it makes it sound like once your child has formula, then there isn't a point of BFing and that is completely false. So, I think the answer to that is "false."

I really debated the mixing formula in cereal, but I just ended up mixing it with other foods and water.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Baby Cereal is not realy needed at that age if you want to skip it too thats ok...
    my last two babies never liked it so we just gave them cold cereal that they could self feed.

maybe this info is what you read....
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ay-solids.html

from that link

Delaying solids gives baby greater protection from illness.
    Although babies continue to receive many immunities from breastmilk for as long as they nurse, the greatest immunity occurs while a baby is exclusively breastfed. Breastmilk contains 50+ known immune factors, and probably many more that are still unknown. One study has shown that babies who were exclusively breastfed for 4+ months had 40% fewer ear infections than breastfed babies whose diets were supplemented with other foods. The probability of respiratory illness occurring at any time during childhood is significantly reduced if the child is fed exclusively breast milk for at least 15 weeks and no solid foods are introduced during this time. (Wilson, 1998) Many other studies have also linked the degree of exclusivity of breastfeeding to enhanced health benefits (see Immune factors in human milk and Risks of Artificial Feeding).

Hi... I am giving cereal to my baby of 10months since she was 7 months, whenever I run out of breastmilk I would mix the cereal with water... I do it like that cause I buy the fruit cereal so its got flavor in it, but I think its fine if you want to mix it with formula.... many of my friends that also breastfeed do it that way, I think its a question of choice.... some where here I read that breastmilk shouldnt be all or nothing, and that if you need to suplement its ok.... ....

Again I mix it with water cause the cereal that I buy got fruits in it, so no need to add flavor...

I also mix rice cereal with water. I add a little fruit puree to give it a little flavor.

Kimberly Mommy to Landin and Avery

------------------------------------------

i realize this isn't an option if your LO is with DCP, but can't you squeeze a little fresh from the source?

I live in India also and I gave up pumping all together because it is difficult to keep things sterile and milk goes bad quickly in 100 degree weather... I have realized though that exposing your little one to the dust and germs in India helps make them immune. My husband and I always have some kind of stomach bug but my daughter rarely gets sick... That is also another reason to breastfeed as much as possible. BM helps build the immune system.
    I also skipped cereal because my lo didnt like it. She really likes itly (sp)though.

Thanks all for the advice. My DD likes cereal mixed in milk - be it BM or Formula. She does not like it that much if mixed with fruits or veggies. She does eat fruits and veggies separately.

I do give her cereal once or twice along with other foods. I bought boxes and boxes of cereal.

Quote Originally Posted by sailor-san View Post
    i realize this isn't an option if your LO is with DCP, but can't you squeeze a little fresh from the source?

I would love to do that. For the amount of cereal she eats I need about an ounce or so. But I never really got the hang of manual expression. It is kinda slow. I know there are many links that explain how to do it. Is there a really good one you can point me too?

Quote Originally Posted by veenasri View Post
    I would love to do that. For the amount of cereal she eats I need about an ounce or so. But I never really got the hang of manual expression. It is kinda slow. I know there are many links that explain how to do it. Is there a really good one you can point me too?

http://www.lactationinstitute.org/MANUALEX.html
    this is the "marmet technique"

HTH