Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nipple Injury! Ack! Now what?!

Exclamation Nipple Injury! Ack! Now what?!

I made the mistake of picking up my cat and got two gashes* across my left areola, one right up to the side of my nipple, from back claws. They are not deep but they did bleed. I've swabbed the area with hydrogen peroxide, which is bad for skin, I know, but I had no other disinfectant.

Right now, kiddo is on my other breast, and he's not likely to want Lefty for another hour or so, thankfully, but when he does, then what? Will lanosil (is that what it's called?) help? Do you think it's safe to nurse on that side?

What do I do??

*It was an accident; she turned in my arms and got me. Completely unintentional and not malicious.

Default Re: Nipple Injury! Ack! Now what?!

Making sure it's disinfected well, and keeping an eye on it for infection (redness, swelling) is important. Blood from the cut won't hurt your baby, is it deep enough that it might cause you a lot of pain to nurse from?
    If it hurts too much try pumping or hand expressing, making sure to keep removing milk - letting it become engorged will make it hurt more!
    You can use a little bit of Lanolin, mother's use this while they are cracked and bleeding - rub it between your fingers to get it soft before putting it on.
    Ouch mama!! I hope this heals up quick for you!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Quote Originally Posted by LLLJessica View Post
    Making sure it's disinfected well, and keeping an eye on it for infection (redness, swelling) is important. Blood from the cut won't hurt your baby, is it deep enough that it might cause you a lot of pain to nurse from?
    If it hurts too much try pumping or hand expressing, making sure to keep removing milk - letting it become engorged will make it hurt more!
    You can use a little bit of Lanolin, mother's use this while they are cracked and bleeding - rub it between your fingers to get it soft before putting it on.
    Ouch mama!! I hope this heals up quick for you!
    In addition to this, I'd put a little breastmilk on it and let it air out when possible.

Ouchie, I have three cats and KNOW what those scratches feel like, although I have been fortunate to not get any on my nipples.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Thanks guys. I don't feel so panicky now.

I put lanolin on the cuts and I'll keep an eye on 'em. I'm worried about the one on the nipple part opening and hurting when he nurses, so I will try to hand-express for the next couple of days. It's not DEEP deep, but it's not just superficial top-skin. Now to see if he'll take a bottle for the few days I will need to make up for the lack of that breast.

He's been on Righty almost all day today anyway (block nursing) with no problems. I'm amazed I have that much milk in that side.

Still ow.
    Last edited by tuesday morning; April 22nd, 2008 at 11:28 PM. Reason: clarity

Skin heals rather quickly. There's probably no reason to avoid nursing on that side unless you find it painful while nursing or the act of nursing opens up the wound.

I second the recommendation to rub some breastmilk into the cut and allow to air dry. Lansinoh will be good for moist wound healing, and the cut will be less likely to scab.

If the cut should start to look infected, there are OTC antibiotic ointments that are nursing safe. We can grab that info for you should it become necessary. Keep an eye out for any serious signs of infection, and if noted, call your doctor immediately.

HTH!

Yes BREAST MILK on there would probably heal it in NO time. Id put the breastmilk on the scrathes let it dry then put some lansinoh on it as well.
    Hope they heal soon mama!

CAYLA
    Mama 2 Allie who Self-weaned @ 2 1/2
    Korben Jon born 07/25/2011*

I with the breastmilk and the lansinol. I had a teething cut and it beld and it was healed in no time flat!
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

No redness today, but it hurts to nurse. Nothing I can't tolerate, but still kinda ow. I put breastmilk all over them and they certainly do feel better right afterwards.

Man. Of all the things I didn't anticipate when I thought of breastfeeding...

Oh, so I got a bit engorged overnight because I didn't want him to nurse on that boob until I had made sure there was no infection / grossness this morning, and when I was in the shower expressing milk, I noticed a small blockage. I prodded it a bit to get it out, moving in to look closely at it. I squeezed my nipple a bit to see if it would come out easily.

*POP*! The blockage shot out after the second squeeze and a stream of hot breastmilk shot out in an arc and got me right in the nose. You'd think I'd have learned my lesson after that, but no, I moved in again to make sure everything was fine and shot myself in the eye.

I'm really good at this, I swear.

Now I have another issue... Lefty seems to be a bit broken. The cut didn't damage anything, but I'm not getting a whole lot of milk out that side. Even with pumping, it doesn't pull a lot. Kiddo stays on that side for all of five minutes before spitting it out and crying because there's nothing coming out. When I squeeze a bit, I can get a bead or two out, but that's it.

Great, now I've gone and broken my boob somehow. Fantastic.

hope you got the baby to nurse over night..
    baby is beter at removing milk then pumping or hand expressing!